RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3D 3in 1
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm 

Hi guys,
Has anyone had any experience with the snapmaker 2.0? It has modular build so you can do 3D printing, laser cutting and engraving, and CNC routing.
I don't know enough yet about laser or 3D to know if the parts have the capacity for what we want to do.
I mainly want to print figures (finally get some decent engineers in the loks, which may look a lot like me....) and cut some parts to make a building, and some detail parts for stations and things....ticket machines, sand boxes, signs and such.
It has good reviews, but I'm not sure how good the specs are.
There's also one called Ecubmaker, but it's quite small.

Post subject: Re: 3D 3in 1
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:18 pm 

I looked at this a while ago and was a bit concerned that there would be too many compromises in it but I have no direct experience.

There a couple of concerns I had with the design - open laser cutter / engravers just don't seem to me to be good practice. In my view of the ideal world, it would be contained in a case to protect the users eyes and manage the fumes through an extraction system and have some cooling but - a 1.6w laser is not going to cut too much.

The printer and router seem sound enough but if you want to do a decent job printing figures and detail parts, a resin SLA printer would be the way to go rather than this option.

Just my view of course!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:56 pm 

I'll second Jim's opinion.

Multi-tools are invariably a compromise and the comment regarding the open laser is spot on. But there is an enclosure available .... for a bit extra.

BTW I just read the review on the Swiss distributor's website. He mentioned a few of the "handicaps". ;) ;)

https://www.digitec.ch/de/page/fraesen-drucken-gravieren-ist-der-snapmaker-die-eierlegende-wollmilchsau-10709?loginActionId=2594ba26-48d8-4423-8401-31e7da434c29

The "not so wonderful"relates to the quality of the CNC cutter and Laser engraving functions. It all depends what one requires, desires and how much money one would like to spend and how much time one has to get the design work done.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:55 pm 

Thanks for the opinions. I know you have both a laser cutter, and a 3D, HJ, and I imagine you get much higher quality from them than a combi....as I research more, I'm understanding that now.
Looking also at formlabs. One question is that can these things sit idle for a time without having big issues when you're ready to use them... I won't be printing something everyday....
I see that the price of some things like laser cutters and printers is coming down, too.
thanks for the thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:49 pm 

I spoke this morning with someone from the Formlabs company. They make an SLA printer called the Formlab3 which looks like it would be ideal for the things I want to do, namely: 1) build figures of yours truly as engineer, chef, waiter, baggage handler, railway workers....you get the gist. (I'm an actor by profession, so getting to play many roles in my little world would be fun, and I'd get custom figures for whatever I need.) 2) build parts of buildings: benches, ticket machines, signs, doors and windows (though I don't know if laser cutting and layering is better for that?? (HJ?), and hopefully: signals, both on masts and dwarf; and perhaps catenary posts, though I don't know if they are strong enough to take the pressure or tension from wires. I'm also not sure if even signals would be strong enough or able to withstand the weather. Formlabs has a number of different resins available in many different parameters for strength and flexibility. I think for a signal it's mainly a matter of durability. Also details for cars and engines, and things like fountains, baggage carts, suitcases, crates, etc. Various loads for flat cars, etc.

There's a place here in Toronto that sells them, and the supplies, and also offers training for cad programs and even advanced things like for molds, or specific applications, so having that kind of tech support would be good.
They sell all kinds of 3D printers from this kind to full blown industrial ones that are for production finished items (way beyond my budget or expertise or use...) But having the help for learning it would be good.
This is a fascinating area, with so many applications for our hobby.
There is a bit of an investment here, but compared to the 'realworld' reviews, the snapmaker is for entry level and not detailed enough for us rivetcounters....

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:13 pm 

There is a new printer just about to be released by Elegoo - the Saturn - resin printer but with much greater build volume, build volume is 18.8cm(L) x 11.5cm(W) x 20cm(H) or 7.4in x 4.52in x 7.87in, resolution and speed than their previous Mars machine which has been very well received and taking a big slice of the market. Reviews are very encouraging and if it comes in at the sort of price point suggested $300 / $400 US then even I would be very tempted. https://www.electromaker.io/blog/articl ... ter-review