RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: COVID-19 problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:56 pm 

Hope you're all keeping out of harms way.
Just heard on the News BoJo's announcement regarding mandatory Pub closures, now that will be a bit of a nuisance. :-o :-o What? Understatement of the year? ;)

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

Post subject: Re: COVID-19 problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 pm 

The bar might be closed ;) They are still allowed to do takeaways and some locally are adding an outside bar while you wait for the food ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 pm 

Paul S wrote:
The bar might be closed ;) They are still allowed to do takeaways and some locally are adding an outside bar while you wait for the food ;)

Hmmm there's always a way, isn't there? ;)

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:51 am 

Our village pubs are now doing home food deliveries and will fill your own bottles from the beer pumps.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!FjfChZ1m6Oe9gSYqTlVLblgzek5WdyQM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 am 

We have managed to collect enough vodka (the good stuff) to float the Symphony Of The Seas (well, she won't be cruising anyplace soon...), so I think we'll be OK.
So long as The Present Mrs T keeps up in the 'production department' with my consumption rate of choc chip cookies, we plan just to batten down the hatches and wait it out until some semblance of normality is restored.
Stay safe one and all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:56 pm 

We’re staying in out of the Public’s way. Universities and Colleges have cancelled Spring Semester. At most of them students have to be out of Dorms and off campus by the end of March. Local schools ate closed until 4/27/2020. Most students are home schooling via the Internet. Major local companies have employees working from home, smaller business are closed and employees are furloughed, Fast Food venders are Take Out Only. Pharmacies, major food retailers, food marts, Gas stations are open. Some have special hours for Seniors, although panic buying has emptied shelves. The Governor has issued several orders including no gatherings of 10 or more people.

SWMBO and I are in the Senior category. With my IDC and other cardiac problems I have been advised by my Primary Care team to “Home Isolate” for the near future. I’m afraid I must do with reading, ship model building and work on my indoor railroad.

Jan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10 pm 

W. K. Jansmann wrote:

SWMBO and I are in the Senior category. With my IDC and other cardiac problems I have been advised by my Primary Care team to “Home Isolate” for the near future. I’m afraid I must do with reading, ship model building and work on my indoor railroad.

Jan

Doesn't sound too strenuous. #:-s ;)
How much snow is left out your way? All clear by May?

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:03 am 

Quote:
Doesn't sound too strenuous. #:-s ;)
How much snow is left out your way? All clear by May?

Ah yes snow, the mountains still have quite a bit, but in my area of the state (on the coast) it was all gone until last night. Minor storm left about eight inches of wet wet wet snow. Today’s high temperature is forecast at 50+ F.

Jan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:21 pm 

Hello friends.
Well, I'm now at the age where when they say they want the elderly (over 60) to stay in because they are the target group, I sort of cough a bit, thinking...."whoa, I'm in that group?!" Don't feel like it, but I am.
The reality hits when I know people who have died. A famous Dialect Coach, and actor, who taught my wife in theatre school died yesterday, and last week, the father of a friend of mine in England. It is real. And as the numbers grow and it touches more people it will be a sobering reality of the importance of trying to beat this as quickly as possible.
My daughter works in a small deli near us, and I'm worried about her. They are limiting things as much as possible. I'm proud of her for being a front line worker, and doing her job. But it's still nerve wracking.
Good time to catch up on hobby work, reading, videos, and building.
Take care my friends, be safe and be well.
We just got the word this morning that Toronto will be on 3 more months shut down, then they'll see.
My film work closed down weeks ago, my ski school as well, even though we had lots of great snow left, and after just setting up for a trade show for my other business, (saminasleep.com) we were told they were closing, so back we went that night and took it all down. The next morning we loaded it on the trucks. That was March 15, which seems like ages ago, when it first started. Film and tv work shut down on the 16th, and will be a long time before we're on a set again.
Very different world.
cheers,
John
I've seen posts from 3D people using open source patterns to make PPE frames for masks and face shields....wish I had one. Friends are sewing all kinds of masks and sending them in. great to see people coming together to help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:06 pm 

The routines are gradually tightening. Social distancing etc.etc.

Good news, at least from our narrow perspective, the adjacent Provincial Park is almost all ours. That is the neighbourhood's; facilities shut down, parking lots closed and basically no available street parking close to the park.

Speaking of Provincial Parks, while the XC venue shut down on March 20th there is lots of snow on the PP snowshoe trails up there. Planned on going up today, but .........not with a minus 17ºC windchill factor and 30 kmh winds. 8-| 8-|

Keep safe!

Note to Mike: how's that Vodka prophylactic working??? 8-} 8-}

BTW that HeadHoncho of Belarus opined that Vodka and sauna are the perfect remedy. =)) =)) The article didn't mention if it was enough Vodka that required the sauna to cure the hangover.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:17 am 

Yes the restrictions and risk have certainly ramped up as more is known. I’m still working although we are on single manning now with restricted service levels. I’m also shopping for friends in total lockdown due to a transplant putting her in the highest risk group, other friends on standby to take over if I get exposed but currently easiest for me to get there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:55 am 

Quote:
Note to Mike: how's that Vodka prophylactic working??? 8-} 8-}

It's early days and I don't want to tempt fate, but so far, so good.
More testing required to work out the optimum dosage :^
Stay safe one and all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:04 am 

Since people don't follow the regulations all Provincial Parks in BC are now closed. Anyone found in a closed park can be find $115 for each infraction. It's "the few screwing it up for the many" time again. X( X(

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:06 pm 

Yes same here, they are threatening to restrict outdoor exercise. I live on the edge of a park and it was busy each day until two days ago and suddenly people seem to be realising and it’s been almost empty. Still seeing groups of 3-5 not doing distancing and I suspect some of that is drugs as it’s particularly noticeable after dark when I’m walking back from work. I’m avoiding the nicest walk home as I can see two or three groups down the river path and the body language suggests they are on the lookout so I’m taking the route that follows the road for now!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:49 am 

There's a bit more light. With all kinds of exercise areas closed for the duration it got to be a drag.
The light? They finished construction along the RailTrail, which is now again fully open. Before it was closed between 08:00 and 17:00 and with the weather and the location on the west shore of the lake (lots of shade in the evening) it was a bit on the cool side, especially when the wind was from a northerly direction.
Other than that, same old restrictions.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator