RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:41 pm 

Ok - listen up all you UK based folks... fair warning, I land in Manchester at 9am Saturday morning 4 April... and the Swiss Railway Society's meeting is in Derby that day! I'll be heading down direct from the airport - should arrive just around noon or there after! You've been warned! :D

Seriously though, David Gormley (the owner of the 1:20.3 Rio Grande Models UK site) will be there as well... and our very own Paul S has already booked his hotel!

So, I think at a minimum the three of us will be off to a dinner and evening of merriment on Saturday after the show, and very likely a fabulous breakie Sunday as well... if any of you are in the area - come join us! Could be a fun, unofficial RhB Grischun meet up! :-BD

Info on the AGM here: https://swissrailsoc.org.uk/2020-agm/

Josh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:41 pm 

Yeah somehow in the process of our conversation I booked a room ;)
Looking forward to the meet up with a bit of Swiss modelling to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:42 pm 

I've requested the day off so I can attend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:43 pm 

Yep - I will be down Saturday morning but not staying for dinner I am afraid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:49 pm 

Outstanding!!! I'm very excited by this!
By god, we may just have to take a "group photo" for HJ before this is all done! :D

No worries on dinner Jim... to you and Glenn, (and anyone else) - as we know the owner of the restaurant, I'll make a reservation for the total of us and if you can make it, great - and if not, it's not an issue.

(FYI - you can check out the menu here: https://www.littleoverlodge.co.uk/resta ... erby-food/)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:33 am 

OK! Menu looks good but I cannot hang about too long, 2 hour drive home. Quick Pizza for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:08 pm 

Well gents, thanks to our fabulously slow, then knee-jerk response here in the states... not sure I'll be able to make the AGM!

I'm keeping my flights as planned currently, but as I was to fly Los Angeles-Manchester, London-Frankfurt-London, London-Los Angeles, not sure I'll be allowed back in the country... at least not without a 14 day home vacation courtesy of the government. :((

Here's hoping 3 weeks from now, things have calmed down... though something tells me it will be worse (if not here, there) by then. =((

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:57 am 

Yes my modest travel costs are nothing in comparison. The German and Swiss legs of your tour are certainly no go at present without isolation afterwards. The UK leg ok as long as they don’t add us in while you’re here. We have Narrow Gauge South a week later in Southampton and the worries will probably mean exhibitors cancelling plus low turnout so it could be a bust financially for our group unless the govt. causes the venue to close and insurance kicks in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:52 am 

No news about the AFM being cancelled or moved to a later date as yet, spposed to be news in the next few days about the banning of mass gatherings in England. The U.S have banned flights to/from Europe except the UK as you know. That may well be extended.
Not looking good at the moment. MY first trip to Switzerland at the end of April is in the balance, an earlier trip elsewhere is doomed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 pm 

With borders in Europe closing, my rail trip to Romania for a wedding in May is looking extremely unlikely - and I am not sure I would want to be that exposed by visiting so many cities. I strongly suspect the AGM will have to be called off but having done some work in relation to the cancellation of events for the museum where I volunteer, I suspect any insurance they have will not help defray any costs as Covid19 will not be covered as I found out :( At a personal level, I do fall into a group having a heightened risk and even if not cancelled, I do not think I would attend, just too many people in close proximity for my comfort.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 am 

From the RhB site - translation courtesy of Google

The Federal Council and the canton of Graubünden decided today to take further measures to contain the corona virus. The Federal Office of Public Health (BAG) has issued, among other things, orders for public transport in Switzerland. Regular public transport continues to operate according to the timetable. The tourist traffic, extra trips and historical trips are stopped. Group trips are canceled. Dining cars and catering services are also prohibited on the trains. In implementation of these instructions, the Rhaetian Railway (RhB) will stop operating the Bernina Express on Saturday, March 14, 2020. Charter and adventure trips will also be canceled. From then on, the Glacier Express also stops operating. These measures are expected to apply until April 26, 2020. The freight transport of the Bündner Güterbahn is not affected by these measures.

No real surprises I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:29 am 

That’s the parents trip next week cancelled then. There’s a lot of people going to suffer as all the associated supply companies suffer too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:33 am 

Yep, it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Stay safe everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm 

Info from SRS site
Quote:
16th March 2020:
In the light of the changing national situation since the bulletin of 9 March and, in particular, the Prime Minister’s messge around 5pm today strongly advising against unnecessary social contact and travel, the SRS Board is cancelling the social & formal meetings on 3 & 4 April at the Hallmark Hotel in Derby. We are sure you will understand and will have been expecting an announcement on these lines. Anyone who has bought a ticket for the AGM dinner will receive a full refund in due course. The Society is cancelling the booking with the Hallmark for the meeting rooms but it is the responsibility of members who have booked overnight accommodation to contact the hotel to cancel those bookings.
Not everyone uses websites, of course, so we will be writing to all members to confirm that the event in early April is cancelled. We have no plans to re-arrange the social gathering for 2020 but we will of course re-arrange the formal Annual General Meeting. Our hope is to announce the new date in the June edition of Swiss Express but much will depend on how things develop with the virus over the next few weeks. If, say, a meeting in early July would stand no better chance of taking place than the one planned for 4 April, then we will have no option but to push the meeting further back. If such a decision cannot be reached in time for inclusion in Swiss Express then another letter will be sent to members so that everyone has the required notice.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!FjfChZ1m6Oe9gSYqTlVLblgzek5WdyQM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:12 pm 

Sad state of affairs but understandable. The exhibition I was booked to debut Neuburg 2013 has also been cancelled so have less time pressure to get it finished. Talking to a trader yesterday who had been been at Keithly show and he reckoned that the attendance was about one third of normal..... Also mentioned that he is getting very short of layout wire and has been quoted a five month (at least!) lead time by his supplier. Concerning that the final straw for Kiss was the supply of parts from China having dried up. I think we may be in for some surprises in the supply chain over the next few weeks.