RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changes to the RhB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:58 pm 

So last week in the UK I picked up this:

Feature article is by Toma Bačić titled "RhB: THE NEXT DECADE"

Very investing read. If the author is correct, the line will lose almost all of the character that drew me to it in the next few years. :((

Apparently once all the Capricorns arrive, they will join the Allegras (3 and 4 car units) to constitute a collection of 56 EMU sets. This, combined with the 6 Alvra car sets will be the entirety of the RhB's passenger hauling equipment according to the author, with the exception of what is done with the Vereina car shuttles.
(Also noted that the 2 MOB Ge 4/4 III unit purchase has apparently been reduced to one!)

Also claims the Be 4/4s and EWI and EWII coaches will all be retired "soon."

So I guess we're supposed to brace for all Ge 4/4 II's to be removed from service in the next 10 years... and the III's to be relegated to only works/goods traffic (with an apparent draw down of the older units).

Now I still have to imagine a few II's units will be retained, just like the 6/6 II's and other heritage equipment... and I'm guessing the BEX, GEX, and Alpine Classic will run... but, for me one of the main appeals of the RhB was the mix-mash of various cars and loks on any given train set... kept things interesting. If in 10 years the RhB is just a parade of cookie-cutter aerodynamic European EMUs, it's gonna be hard to get excited by that!

Post subject: Re: Changes to the RhB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 pm 

They have announced that the 4/4ii’s from 1973 won’t be refurbished again but the second batch are continuing so their plans must include a fair amount of work still loco hauled. It’s certainly a similar shift to what Britain saw in the 1980’s to a majority of units on passenger work. I wonder if the GEX will get Allegra haulage too?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:44 am 

What will happen to the Sportzug from Berguen to Preda and the like? will that become a railcar set with a WS coach and a driving trailer?
The Klosters - Davos one is already just a Be51x plus 2 or 3 coaches so is readily convertable

There is also the question of the party/school/special event traffic, will it be a case of waiting for 30 minutes for the next train or doubling up on sets?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:03 pm 

Paul S wrote:
I wonder if the GEX will get Allegra haulage too?

That would be my guess.
(Won't LGB be relieved? Opportunities for more repaints of their existing molds! :)) )

Glenn A wrote:
There is also the question of the party/school/special event traffic, will it be a case of waiting for 30 minutes for the next train or doubling up on sets?

I will go back and reread the article tomorrow - but as I recall, the point made was with the 56 EMUs and 6 fixed train sets, this is supposed to cover all pax services (minus, I assume, the GEX/BEX).

The article was actually rather in-depth on various infrastructure works planned - double tracking sections, new connections, station upgrades and alignments... if I read it right it said all the permanent way works, combined with the Capricorns, was to result in a more stable timetable across the network, with the goal of doubling all current services to twice what the are now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:23 am 

You can see why they want more units to avoid runrounds if they are trying to double capacity ultimately. I’m just glad we saw the best periods for variety and can keep it in miniature.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:36 am 

Well, my plan was to model 1913 and 2013 - maybe I will need to add 2033 to try and keep up with the changes! For discussion - any brave soul venture to suggest what it will be like by 2113?

How about 1m maglev track for autonomous passenger and freight vehicles which morph to road use when they arrive at the "transfer stations"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:57 pm 

Jim F wrote:
How about 1m maglev track...

As long as it's narrow gauge! ;)

Glenn: no mention of the Sportzug, so who knows?
Based on everything said in the article, I would imagine the EMU treatment is very possible.

Basically, the author says Ge 4/4 I's will be removed from revenue service in the next two years. Following that, some Ge 4/4 II's will cascade to freight service, others withdrawn. (So that keeps with Paul's comments about the 1973 loks.) The Ge 6/6 II's are also listed as being removed at the same time as the GE 4/4 II's "cascade to freight service."

One other interesting part I picked up on - the article says by 2022, the entire network will be running under Siemens Trainguard ZSI 127 ETCS! :-?