RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:05 am 

That was a reminder .... when has a forum reached/passed its "Best Before" date? Thanks John!
I'll give that some very serious consideration for the next two weeks.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:25 am 

Well it's a busy time of year and we are well established ;) It's not like requests for info are ignored, we don't just post the usual amount of froth that other forums do ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:57 am 

Paul S wrote:
Well it's a busy time of year and we are well established ;) It's not like requests for info are ignored, we don't just post the usual amount of froth that other forums do ;)

Very good point. Thanks.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:40 pm 

this forum has a very healthy best before date, I think.....when nothing's going on, I review threads, look at the drawings, study the signals thread, or just nose around in the various headings. This is a long ways from being "stale". ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:59 am 

I agree with John, I browse the active treads but also "mine/research" via the various categories when there is no daily activity.

For me the forum best date is EVERY DAY.

Thanks HJ.

Jan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:30 am 

I look in several times a week and it's the first port of call for info my books can't supply. I've lost count of how many times I've dived back in like the others to look for something I've seen before. Sort of sits between a website, forum and a damn good reference book :)
For instance I saw the recommendation of the Loki RhB book and just went and bought it yesterday as I trust the opinions on here even when they cost me money ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:49 am 

Hello HJ,

Yes, I'm back too - been busy (aren't we all at this time of year?) and just decided to look in again. Nobody's replied to the Filisur Webcam page of late, but then not everybody's interested in what's happening 'now', I guess.

I do wonder if 13 coach trains, (which amounts to some 6-700 GBP, + Lok and takes a huge amount of storage space on a layout), doesn't rather mitigate against modelling today's RhB . . . Anyone care to comment - or is that really a different 'subject heading'?

Regards, Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:00 am 

Andy McM wrote:
Hello HJ,

Yes, I'm back too - been busy (aren't we all at this time of year?) and just decided to look in again. Nobody's replied to the Filisur Webcam page of late, but then not everybody's interested in what's happening 'now', I guess.

I do wonder if 13 coach trains, (which amounts to some 6-700 GBP, + Lok and takes a huge amount of storage space on a layout), doesn't rather mitigate against modelling today's RhB . . . Anyone care to comment - or is that really a different 'subject heading'?

Regards, Andy

I guess your amounts are in £ for HOm ;) ;)

While there are some modelers running long, modern RhB trains even in the garden, I don't belong to that fraternity. Mind you, even in my HOm days I kept train lengths to the typical '69 to 75' consists.
One of the first things I learned when getting exposed to the North American style in the early '70s; the longer the train the more ridiculous it will look on the average home layout. All the tricks in layout planning can't overcome the limits set by available space. In my opinion that includes going to multi level and applies to any of the scales.

PS I guess we could file it under philosophy. ;)
BTW I checked the Filisur and Preda cams a few times ..... looking for snow. The resorts must have lost a bundle over the holidays on account of "NO SNOW" :-o :-?

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:20 am 

Quote:
I guess your amounts are in £ for HOm ;) ;)

Yes, HJ; GBP means Great British Pound, aka 'Sterling'.

Quote:
"All the tricks in layout planning can't overcome the limits set by available space. In my opinion that includes going to multi level and applies to any of the scales"

I shall find that out for myself one day, when I complete my Bernina model. ( =)) off stage laughter!) That will have several layers and I do intend to run a 1988 Bex of 2 x 40s + 7 coaches. That's a lot smaller than the RhB today, of course, but even back in the 1980s, the Bex returning down the Albula would have been a Ge 6/6ii, Stammnetz B, A, WR, and the three Bex coaches of the Bex C as well as the 8 of the Bex D. Building a layout to run that at scale speed down a 1:37 might be a bit of a challenge, I'l agree!

I wonder what my GBP will buy next month? :-ss

Regards, Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:31 pm 

Andy McM wrote:
I do wonder if 13 coach trains, (which amounts to some 6-700 GBP, + Lok and takes a huge amount of storage space on a layout), doesn't rather mitigate against modelling today's RhB.

HJM wrote:
...there are some modelers running long, modern RhB trains even in the garden...

Indeed! And let me tell you, I'd love to be able to build a train for only 6-700 GBP! That would at least be affordable! :))

Just as a point of reference. I'm one of those "in the garden" types trying to run modern RhB passenger trains.
I'm averaging 200 GBP per car, and then spending another 30-70 quid to modify/update/detail the cars to a more "modern" look.

The real issue is not cost though, it's availability! 13 coach trains seem impossible. If you look at what is a available "in the garden" that is even remotely correct... you get the LGB EW IV cars (of which there are a half dozen if you are modeling trains from the last 5-7 years) and there are one or two D/DS and EW II cars, again from LGB... and that's it! If we're talking "Modern RhB Passenger"... even the KISS Middle Door wagons are really pushing it for timeline.

For something like 2015, 2016, 2017 - I can do a rake of (three at minimum) 2nd class EW IVs (those are the ONLY 2nd class cars available that fit BTW), a D or DS baggage car, and (two at a minimum) 1st class cars. (Of which, there are only two accurate EW IVs to chose from, and you can use a kit and extra parts from LGB to make a "close enough" EW II car.)

So drawing from the totality of what has been produced, my minimum RE zug is 6 cars long, uses every 2nd class EW IV cars LGB (or anyone) has produced, uses the only DS car LGB (or anyone) has produced, and uses one of two (or both) 1st class EW IV's from LGB and/or an updated/modified EW I from LGB.

Minimum RE is 6 coaches - if I use the "extra" 1st class coach for a second train, I can then build a rake starting with the *other* EW IV 1st class coach, and then one of a few D baggage cars (you can use one of a couple from LGB) and then you're stuck sorting out 2nd class cars (you still need 3). If we make this 2008, 2009, 2010 we can add in the Kiss middle door cars. (But is 2010 "modern"?! :-? )

Basically, I can't assemble a 13 car train even if I had the money! At best, I can build a 7 car train that "could be" running today, but in reality I've not seen a string of 2nd class cars in RE service that were ALL EW IVs.

I can build a "some what modern" train from circa 2010, that is longer, depending on how many middle door wagons I choose to add to the 2nd class and/or 1st class sections.

And that - right there - is why you see less activity out of someone like me. There is simply not enough options available to choose from! :-w

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:57 pm 

Josh U wrote:

Basically, I can't assemble a 13 car train even if I had the money! At best, I can build a 7 car train that "could be" running today, but in reality I've not seen a string of 2nd class cars in RE service that were ALL EW IVs.

I can build a "some what modern" train from circa 2010, that is longer, depending on how many middle door wagons I choose to add to the 2nd class and/or 1st class sections.

And that - right there - is why you see less activity out of someone like me. There is simply not enough options available to choose from! :-w

Josh, I hear you!

When it comes to proto-modeling, large scale is very limited.
Pick any railway/railroad, any era and as far as I'm aware the problem exists across the board in large scale. Instances such as BRAWA's complete, authentic steam train are the exception. Add the peculiar attitude of the "G - wie Gummi" fraternity — they basically buy anything with a certain label, of one kind or the other — and it will keep on rolling as is. Very, very frustrating! X( X(

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:00 pm 

Oh good... we're back!! :ymhug:

I was worried that HJ had thrown in the towel!! :-ss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:07 pm 

;) I just kept on sketching ideas for the Om project :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 pm 

I'm here, checking in......just don't have anything new to report....too distracted with the distractions in the news !?!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:28 pm 

Me, I'm here too! Still busy building railways for other people so no time for my own projects. 8^(
Maybe next year...