RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:25 pm 

Well, that's precisely what I'm doing, try not to fry the board and/or the motors. Same goes for the batteries, I don't recharge while they're still warm. I have enough of them to just keep rotating with a ten minute break for the quad to cool down.
BTW helidirect.com has all kinds of stuff, but their selection is .... ONE lousy battery http://www.helidirect.com/heli-max-lipo-1s-3-7v-400mah-axe-100-ss-ssl.html. :| :|
I have a good assorment of similar dimensions with 550mAh at a similar price from ..... Amazon.ca. ;) B-)

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:37 am 

I see where you are looking - the OEM batteries. If you select 'ALL BATTERIES' in the search, they have a few hundred batteries from micro sized, to 22,000mAh monsters, and everything in between. The PULSE brand is their own, which are very good. Many in the model aviation club use them. Im certain they have a non OEM solution for you.

The other option is custom. We have a local guy on Long Island, called "Barry the Battery Guy". He may have a website. He has an infinite amount of options. His pricing can be better then store bought, or more expensive depending on what he builds you. The guy is an electrical engineer in the model aviation club who does this on the side. He sources the LIPO plates at various grades (depending on how expensive of a battery you want and what discharge you want), he can get various sizes (so he can make a tiny battery with a huge capacity at a high price), or a large brick sized battery putting out 80,000mAh at a low discharge for a large scale 60lb heli. I have a few of his creations which have been going strong for almost 8 years now (the oldest). They are EXTREMELY high quality and very reasonably priced! If you are ever interested, I can reach out to him for you.

Let me know...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:45 am 

I hear you, but the size and capacity of batteries I need/use are readily available from Amazon.ca. Excellent service, no complications etc. etc.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:12 pm 

There is definitely something to be said regarding ease of obtaining the batteries. I have never had issues purchasing from HeliDirect, however. Very easy as well. Items typically arrive within 3 days or so. HOWEVER, I am in the US, as is HeliDirect, so, not sure if it would be a little slower to Canada. So, I can not answer that...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:12 pm 

It would definitely be a bit slower ...... shipping across the border has become quite expensive. In many cases the shipping charges have tripled, but it all depends what it is and if there are several shipping selections.
And then .... you add the exchange rate. :-o #:-s

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:43 pm 

Note to pilots: Porter airlines may have hit drone today.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/t ... -1.3850218

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:14 am 

Precisely the reason I get "slightly upset" when some of these guys are bragging by how much they exceeded the height limits and how far beyond the line of sight (BLOS) they could fly and how close to drained the battery was when they finally landed. X( X( Irresponsible bunch of ........... (too many terms to chose from)

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:42 pm 

As an active model aviation enthusiast, this is precisely the fear fellow MODEL AVIATION ENTHUSIASTS and myself have concerning drones. As we have discussed, the advancement of electronics has made flying model aircraft and "drones" far easier, opening the hobby of model aviation to NON-MODEL AVIATION ENTHUSIASTS. Now, anyone can purchase a drone and fly it, most responsibly, but some irresponsibly. In the past, due to the complexity of model flight and the skill involved, model aviation pilots tended to be very knowledgeable on the prototype and prototype operations. This is akin to us model railroaders modeling the RhB and being very knowledgeable on the prototypical RhB which we model.

Now - the vast majority of those purchasing and flying drones are NOT model aviation enthusiasts and have no knowledge of flight - both model or prototype. This lack of knowledge is what places full sized, real aircraft at risk, and draws negative attention to the model aviation community as the public is not intelligent enough to distinguish between a model aviation enthusiast who spends 2500 hours scratch building a scale helicopter which is always flown line of sight below 100-200 feet and someone who buys a drone off the internet, pops the battery in, and starts "flying" (directing the on board electronics where the craft should go). This was the basis of the FAA's mandate to register drones. They wanted to capture and register the non-aviation "pilots" more so than the model-aviation pilots.

Those within the model aviation community who have been flying beyond line of sight for years (the technology predates drones by over a decade, although was very expensive - HeliCommand, HeliCommand Profi, HeliCommand GPS), many of whom hold real pilots licenses (VFR / IFR / Commercial) do not pose a risk to the full sized aircraft due to their knowledge of the operation of full sized aircraft. Now that the technology is very inexpensive ($12,000 for HeliCommand GPS + $20,000 to $30,000 to build the helicopter capable of beyond line of sight operations to $400ish for a drone that can basically do the same thing) it is finding its way into the hands of those who SHOULD NOT HAVE IT. This is the current market place.

To make a comparison to model railroading - this is akin to someone who sets up a circle of track around the Christmas Tree for 2 weeks out of the year and orbits their Lionel starter set loco at 600mph endlessly, calling themselves a model railroader. Worse off, insisting they are a model railroader. We have all met someone like that in our travels. We have all experienced the frustration of interacting with that person. What does that person make us: someone who studies the RhB (for example) for many years to enable him to scratch build a layout, hand lay track, scratch build catenary, scratchbuild and kitbash equipment so it is an exact replica of the prototype, then operates exactly as the prototype does - like HJ is in the process of doing now on his beautiful railroad.

Now, looking at the flightpath of the aircraft in the news article, and the altitude and speed it was traveling at the time it encountered the "drone"- if this was a drone they needed to take "evasive action" to avoid, I would be amazed!!!!!!!!! That drone would have been flying between 250 and 300 mph around 9000 feet in altitude, miles off the coast. That is some drone! If we are talking about "slightly upset" as HJ put it, what makes me "slightly upset" is the media's instantaneous conclusion that this was a drone, and the implication that drones pose a significant risk to manned flight. This story is not only being discussed on this forum, but numerous model aviation forums across the net, as well as the local model aviation community where I live on Long Island. Per discussions amongst model aviation enthusiasts - some WITH pilot licenses (full scale, real pilots licenses, not nonsensical "drone licenses") and some without: they all doubt very much this was a drone, and are angry (not "slightly upset") that once again, the media has lumped the model aviation enthusiasts (model railroaders) with those who buy a drone at Sharper Image (circle of track around a Christmas Tree).

Believe me HJ - there is no bragging amongst the model aviation community regarding how high they fly, how far from base they fly, or how much of their battery they used up before landing. Fortunately, all the model aviators I know and fly with are very responsible and if the altitude they fly at, distance from base they travel, or amount of battery they discharge is exceeding some "limit", they do so with safety in mind as they would NEVER risk an aircraft or helicopter they invested over $10,000 in or thousands of hours building to brag that they landed with only 5% battery capacity remaining. If you are referring to the story I told you about the one guy in our local club who flies his heli way beyond visual range out over the beach - I may have forgotten to mention he is a Boeing 777 Senior Captain for United with about 25,000 flight hours logged (including being an A10 Warthog pilot in the Marines during Desert Storm).

You are correct HJ. I agree with you 100%. There are many people who go out to buy a drone and act VERY irresponsible with it. Fortunately, very very very few are model aviation enthusiasts, let alone pilots.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:27 am 

That wasn't the most accurate graphic of the flight plan. I live right by the lake and these planes come in just off the edge of the shore. No more than 100 metres usually. So someone could be standing on the bluffs and flying it out where the glidepath is and at the height they often fly by here. We're not quite as far away as they mention. But they have been seen closer to the airport.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:17 pm 

Thought you might be interested in this. Mini drones developed for the military "Purdix"...can swarm and use AI to 'think' with swarm behavior to prevent collisions and carry out missions. Watch the speed with which they can go after something and turn up the sound if you really want to hear something you won't forget. Purdix is the anceint Greek name for the brother of Daedalus, who was turned into a partridge when he was pushed off a high tower by jealous Daedalus. On the fall he was changed into a Partridge after his namesake, Purdix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NGgHyfPGU0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:29 pm 

Yeah, there are all kinds of applications for drones.

BTW I ordered the "The Drone Camera Handbook" and it arrived right on time. Since I was a bit under the weather this past week — the minus 25ºC windchill got me last Monday — I had time to read most of that already. I have a stack of magazines which in total don't explain half as much as this book.
For all those who plan on buying a "real" vid/pix drone, but are starting from scratch, I'd highly recommend this book. The bias tilts towards DJI line, but that's hardly surprising. ;) :)

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:55 am 

With three of the drones having migrated next door, there are just three left in the house. The boys next door have a ball, they fly the big SYMA higher than I ever dared, actually high enough to do a full rotation and video most of the neighbourhood and the main parking lot. The parking lot is 320m from our place (as the crow flies). :-o :-o

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:54 am 

Never say never!!!
Once i figured out that the large drone (relatively speaking) will create too much prop wash, kicking up dirt and shaking plants when filming close in. As mentioned by Chip http://rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2906&start=30#p21989 it was time to look for a suitable item that has excellent flight specs, super camera specs in 1080p and is produced by a reputable mfg.
TADA Staples has presently a special on the DJI Spark, which is small and fills the "must have" list and then plenty of extra.
The Special at Staples? Order a Spark (base config) and get a free controller (while quantities last!), yes you still need an iPhone or a Smartphone to see what's going on.
Controller arrives today, drone next week because I want the "Lava Red" one.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm 

May the fun begin!

The Spark arrived yesterday, as did the holder for the Phablet — specially designed for the Spark and Mavic drones; yes, they did a very nice job. Made from Alu rather than plastics, nice solid feel with a lot of flexibility for different viewing angles
A micro USB cable together with a sunshade for the Phablet will arrive Friday. The cable will provide a permanent link between the DJI controller and the Phablet — instead of using WiFi. The sunshade is almost mandatory with our bright Okanagan sunshine.

BTW this little adventure has certain parallels to the DCC intro — a lot to learn and remember i.e. it's "RTFM time" again.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:32 am 

Sounds like an interesting system--looking forward to seeing some pictures of it...hint hint... :-)

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next