RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:40 am 

Hi all,

Apparently my new Ge4/4ii has shown up in a big brown box at home but it will be a week or two before I'll be back in town to open it and check it out. My plan is to let you know my thoughts as delivered, then get into some tuning:

- Adjust CV's: accel/decel, braking threshold, max speed, sound volumes, BEMF settings etc...
- New driver (Prehm Sigi)
- Paint wheels gray (with my favourite Krylon primer)
- Add Massoth uncouplers - plan on using free Aux 5/6 slots on MFX decoder

Keith

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:22 am 

Sounds like a plan! Sooooo where the hell are you hiding errrr I mean working at the moment? Can't be Rupert, they canceled more up there than they plan on building. ;) :ymblushing:

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 pm 

HJM wrote:
Sounds like a plan! Sooooo where the hell are you hiding errrr I mean working at the moment? Can't be Rupert, they canceled more up there than they plan on building. ;) :ymblushing:

In Vancouver, bidding a job for BCR adding about 8km of new rail siding for Deltaport train storage, and a big design-build expansion at Centerm (container terminal--also lots of new train track). Rupert is an interesting one...got some irons in the fire there still but won't hear until early next year. The ones that were cancelled never made sense in my mind--anyone who has walked on Lelu Island knew that was just plain stupid, and the others not much better. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:34 pm 

Hi all,

Finally made it home and was able to unbox the 4/4ii.

First visual impressions:

- I really like the flush windows and extra details like tinted pantos, end fittings, lightly weathered roof.
- The printing on the sides is bright, crisp, and makes a good impression. If you look closely you can see the tiny lines in the dark grey but you have to be very close to even notice this--the "thickness" of the various logos seems to make them stand out even more. Everyone in our household thought it looked much better in person than in pictures. It remains to be seen how scratch resistant it is...
- Assembly errors- only thing I noticed was one of the snap-in side details wasn't seated all the way. I can see why now--I needed a small hammer and piece of wood to home it, but just a tight fit.

Operational (before any adjustments):

- Two whistles (long, short) are good--could use a little more echo, but at least it's different than previous Massoth versions.
- Announcements are similar to the Allegra--very nice, crisp, clear. The welcome announcements are directional, with Chur and St. Moritz the end stations. All the "next halt" announcements can be triggered by a separate function and again are directional just like with the Allegra.
- I wasn't able to trigger three of the higher function sounds (F13-15) until I later made them momentary.
- Initial start was too abrupt for my liking...as usual
- It has an air release before movement starts--I like that feature
- Same damn annoying and overly loud compressor sound that comes on randomly--just like the Allegra but a slightly different compressor.
- Couldn't get the brake sound to trigger
- Motor sounds seem to be load dependent--coast is quieter, acceleration louder
- Pantos still go up/down too quickly...has a different sound for up and down. As Michael and I both noted (M over FaceTime) the up sound made us look for a screw that was loose and had gone flying. :-) Timing coordination for sound and motion was good for the pantos.

Adjustments made:

- Long address to #629: (CV17=194, CV18=117, CV29=38)
- Change functions 1,4,5,10,11,12,14,14,15 to momentary, rest to latching
- CV 2 = 5 (much lower starting voltage)
- CV3 = 25 (slower accel)
- CV4 = 25 (slower decel)
- CV52 = 39 (this changes the BEMF motor type from some oddball HO setting to large scale)

Making the above changes resulted in a much smoother start/stop and now the braking squeal worked perfectly and is well coordinated--probably my favourite sound. :-)

That's it for now...once the weather gets back into the double digits I'll spend some more time fine tuning the BEMF settings, but the above changes will result in pretty dramatic improvement over stock.
Next I'll take it apart and add the uncouplers, driver etc...do some painting...

Keith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am 

Meanwhile back at the ranch ....... I'm still fiddling. :-ss

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:23 am 

HJM wrote:
Meanwhile back at the ranch ....... I'm still fiddling. :-ss

I hope that's going well, HJ! :p

I wanted to mention that this MFX decoder takes programming very well...didn't have any false programming and it took POM as well without issue. One problem I did have was when I tried to disable the MFX protocol--for some reason it didn't like it and wouldn't run...have to do a little more digging on that. I have to say I also like their function mapping. At first that busy numbers chart looks crazy but after a while it starts making sense and has much more flexibility than Massoth. I think it's like reading philosophy--it's like learning another language and it eventually starts to sink in. :)

For the Massoth uncouplers my plan is to use spare outputs on the MFX board--specifically the Aux5 and Aux6 connections. I need to verify they aren't being used once I get it apart...but that's the current plan. It's a simple matter of activating them by CV from the function mapping table.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:32 am 

I finally threw in the towel on that TC crap, the last straw was the behaviour of +SmartHand Mobile on our mobile devices. X( X(

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:32 pm 

Keith Yundt wrote:
For the Massoth uncouplers my plan is to use spare outputs on the MFX board--specifically the Aux5 and Aux6 connections. I need to verify they aren't being used once I get it apart...but that's the current plan. It's a simple matter of activating them by CV from the function mapping table.

Keith,

Please post and share your results when you can. I'd like to do this mod w/uncouplers on #221 without having to use an 8FS from Massoth, if possible.

Thanks,
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 pm 

Will do, Dean. My fall back position will be an 8FS as well but I'm hoping it will work. I'll post the CV adjustments required too...

Keith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:05 pm 

Hi all,

Finally made it home...and am catching up on the outside and inside work...but I did manage to pull the axles out for painting and made an incredible discovery: MLGB actually greased the gears and axles perfectly! At first I thought I'd already taken the motor block covers off and had forgotten that I'd done it myself, but no... :p
I think this is the first time I've ever seen them use just the right amount on the gears--not too much, not bone dry like the Allegra, and it also appears they've gone back to the 'normal' old grease that they sell in their tubes (as opposed to the white lithium style grease). Where the axles go through the block there is usually nothing, or maybe a drop of light oil, but this one had just the right amount of grease, which is something I prefer. So...maybe there is hope yet!
Next step is to re-install the axles, remove the motor blocks so I can do some detail painting and milling of the coupler pocket for the Massoth uncouplers...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:38 pm 

Bad News, Dean: Couldn't get the uncouplers to work using the MFX decoder. I was trying to use Aux.5 & 6, and according to everything I have read it should have worked. I couldn't seem to get power from the Dec(+), and rather than get into a massive test regime, I decided to take the path of least resistance, and just put in an 8FS. I programmed it to the same address as the loco, changed the function triggers to F11, F12 and changed those functions to latching. Changed the driver, put it all together, and now it's all ready to go. I'll have to do more digging into the MFX decoder--maybe the auxiliary functions are meant for SUSI or something?

Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:15 pm 

Here's a quick picture...probably the last chance to run before the winter rains hit...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 pm 

Thanks for trying Keith! ;)
Great picture. :) Gives it a "life-size" perspective. B-)
Nice detailing on the bogies. :-BD

Happy Halloween! (~~)
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:39 pm 

(~~) (~~) Thanks Dean!
Happy Halloween to you too!