RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 pm 

As delivered from BRAWA and now MLGB, the sacks of coal are included — jolly good! In the German language Fora and Groups they are referred to as dead mice, which is not far off the look. :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Since back in the 69 - 75 period RhB was still able to get coal briquettes (out of Belgium) installing the dead mice was not really considered. Finding dimensions of
those items was another matter. Big THANK YOU goes to Gion Rudolf Caprez who not only supplied the dimensions but also a picture that made coming up with the 1:22.5 3D STL file a lot easier.
In my "let's get it done" mood (happens occasionally) it came out to 11 briquettes going across and as much as would fit on either side. Strips of eleven it was and to make things easy I left a small gap between the pieces to break of as much as required — just like a Swiss chocolate bar.

Got it all done and then Gion writes "BTW I should have mentioned it earlier, the enclosure on the tender was much lower in that time period."
Sure enough they changed that when they had to change to "coal in sacks". Moved the fence in a bit on the fireman's side and added three more rows of piping.
Once more "The best books don't do much good unless one studies them" :ymblushing: :ymblushing:

But since I had so much practice printing the strips it was only a matter of time. :ymcowboy: :ymcowboy: Each print took six hours. :-o
Meanwhile I removed the fence from the tender and using my precision scissors snipped what needed snipping, reassembled etc. etc.

And this is the result:

Someone in the "Good enough" mood for the first coal load (without mods) let me know!

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:44 am 

For those who model a more recent time frame
At the 100th ('89) it was still briquets.

https://vimeo.com/174253512

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 am 

Thanks for the video HJ, very atmospheric.
And the 'Stepladder Twostep' was most impressive!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:56 pm 

Thanks Mike. :D

For the " two step" one had to be in the right place at the right time. Would be interesting to see how that works with the pano cars

BTW our VIA Rail has a similar routine on The Canadian during the layover/service stop at Jasper.
As does the Rocky Mountaineer, also at Jasper, but that happens over night. Except in those cases when the RM gets in late - regards from CN - and the service track is plugged. In which case it means the RM leaves really late the next day (2+ hours) and will be late into Kamloops — which then means no sightseeing for the passengers.
That's the "special flavour" for a lot of the passenger operations in Canada.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator