RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LGB Ge 6/6 II
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:12 am 

LGB will finally make a Ge 6/6 II.

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/pr ... odukt.html

Paul

Post subject: Re: LGB Ge 6/6 II
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:58 am 

Yes! I'm presently looking for the Video from today's event.

So far only this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYRvzX3hrnk

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:20 am 

Just saw a photo of it on LGB's Facebook page.... not too bad! :-o

Wonder how "compressed" it is? :-?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 pm 

It will be narrower than the KISS item, but it won't have defective chassis components — no response from KISS regarding the "Bodenplatten" in other words I got KISSed off. X( X(
YEP, they delivered the replacements in Europe, but I guess overseas is to complicated for them. X( X(

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:20 pm 

Here we go

https://www.facebook.com/volldampftv/vi ... 093898695/

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 pm 

So if my internet research is correct this thing is scale length... :-o

From LGB? Non-compressed length? What the hell just happened? @-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:52 am 

Josh U wrote:
So if my internet research is correct this thing is scale length... :-o

From LGB? Non-compressed length? What the hell just happened? @-)

Hmmm ... good question! Would it be possible that they purchased someone's tooling and rights just like they did with the BRAWA items?? Just asking, eh! :-? :-?

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 am 

According to the presentation statement at the roll-out in Landquart (MLGB's Wolfrad Bächle) this has been designed, developed etc. etc. in house at MLGB. According to other statements eventually the will be produced in the different colours for the different eras, too.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:17 pm 

I saw a video somewhere from the event where the rep was asked if this was based on the KISS model and he was quick to say no.

What I wonder now is - based on so many people jumping to "this must be from the KISS molds" conclusion, coupled with the enthusiastic reaction to the model - maybe, just maybe, LGB is getting the message people want models, not toys? I mean, what does it say when you unveil an all new engine, and the enthusiast community's first reaction is "that's not yours... that's based on the competition's product!"

With the acquisition of the fine scale Brawa stuff... the updated GE 4/4 ii series with the new modern appliances/headlights... the Allegra... and now a scale length engine... do we dare dream that the days of gummi super-compressed toys could be coming to an end?!

(Mind you, I'm not foolish enough to think that LGB won't continue to sell the early crap with new paint... money is money after all, but the new stuff... we could be entering interesting times!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:43 pm 

But never count the chickens before they're hatched. Proof of the pudding for me will be the ex-BRAWA items ... when they finally show up. ;) :ymsmug: Many times I thought they can't possibly screw this up and then it was a "oh man 8-| " moment.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:11 pm 

HJM wrote:
It will be narrower than the KISS item, but it won't have defective chassis components — no response from KISS regarding the "Bodenplatten" in other words I got KISSed off. X( X(
YEP, they delivered the replacements in Europe, but I guess overseas is to complicated for them. X( X(

Is this confirmed that the engine is narrower than the Kiss model, or just speculation? I still have trouble believing the engine is not based on the Kiss body. The trucks and plows are obviously not Kiss - they actually look better! However, the body has the same scale appearance. I’m very optimistic about this model. The Kiss engines filled a market demand that LGB, mistakenly, in my opinion, did not fill, and did it poorly. Sure, the kiss engines were scale, but they were fragile and the trucks never looked quite right to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 am 

It will be "seeing is believing", if the 702 is proto width it will look peculiar with all the rest of LGB's RhB stuff. Time will tell.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:39 pm 

Quote:
if the 702 is proto width it will look peculiar with all the rest of LGB's RhB stuff

So honest question here:

I started modeling the RhB with two 4/4 iii's and some freight wagons - all LGB. I then picked up some KISS and Brawa freight cars, LGB traktors, and still it all looked good together. It wasn't till I started buying LGB passenger equipment that my eyes told me there were funky compressions at work.

After that, I started to study/read-up on the various models and their fidelity to prototype. I became very nervous about putting money into something like the KISS or Pullman engines for fear it would look out of place with everything else... but, that said - I bought a KISS Gem 4/4 two months ago, and, to my eyes, it looks perfectly fine with the LGB freight stock that I have. Passenger cars... well, no. But that's more to do with length than width to my eyes.

So - is the Ge 6/6 ii that much wider than a Gem 4/4? Or is it that everything looks odd with LGB's passenger equipment?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:12 pm 

Josh U wrote:
Quote:
if the 702 is proto width it will look peculiar with all the rest of LGB's RhB stuff

So honest question here:

So - is the Ge 6/6 ii that much wider than a Gem 4/4? Or is it that everything looks odd with LGB's passenger equipment?

Hmmmmm. I run My Kiss ge 6/6ii, 4/4i and gem with lgb, kiss and Lebu cars. The newer lgb passenger cars are closer to scale size than the original ones - a bit wider and a bit longer. An issue here is not just scale of the lgb cars, but that the RhB also has both short and long passenger cars. RhB 4 axle passenger cars range from about 15meters long to 18 meters long. Lgb mostly makes models of the short cars, logically! The exception is the GEX, where 18meter cars are modeled at a very compressed scale. So, I figure if my 6/6ii looks long compared to my passenger cars, that’s just the fact that my passenger cars are models of shorter cars.

Get it? For example My kiss middle door cars look big compared to my lgb steel cars in part because they are 1:22.5 and lgb is 1:24, but also because they are 18 meter long cars and the steel cars are 15 meter long cars!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:20 am 

The shorter cars on the proto are a) those who are running on the Bernina line and b) some of the older rebuilds/conversions that were used in the old GEX consists — those are near and dear to my heart. :D c) certain types that regularly also showed up on the Arosa line. I'm only referring to the four axle kinds with enclosed end platforms. ;)
The old heavy weights fit the category as well.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator