RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Number of replacement frames required
Poll ended at Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:50 am
One set 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Two sets 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Three sets 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:50 am 

Notice to all concerned:

Over in the "modellbahnen@cadosch" forum there is an effort to have the replacement made by an outside source — I met the gentleman at Filisur last year and unlike KISS he schould be a very reliable source.
No, they won't be free, but they would be approx. the same price that KISS intends to charge i.e. approx.€150.

Speaking for myself, I have no intention to spend any more money on additional items from KISS - ever. Least of all pay for the remedy of a defect which goes straight back to KISS' apparent habit to 1. being very tardy in providing answers, 2. looking for ways to lower the production cost at the expense of quality, 3. by all accounts has no concept of keeping a proper paper trail (documentation) during the design and production phase of the product. X( X( X( Incompetence should not be reward with more money being spent on their wares.

Now the question: How many replacements are needed for your engines? Please let me know and I'll pass on the total of what is required.

As soon as I know more I'll post the info.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 am 

What??? Kiss intends to charge to solve a problem they created!!!??? Well in that case, I'm with you 100%, I'd prefer to get it from another source. They certainly can't have any less credibility. :-)
The last time I looked my frame was fine but I will check again. Either way it will eventually need be changed so put me down for one.
Thanks,

Keith

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:50 pm 
I inspected all my KISS locos. No frame issues, just peeling paint. HOWEVER, if I wanted to protect myself into the future and order frames, refresh my memory, which locos were affected by this problem? Here is my list of KISS locos; which are at risk?

KISS #99231 - RhB Ge 4/4 I #601, "50 JAHRE 5 MOI. KM" - Purchase Date 5/16/2008
KISS #99164 - RhB Ge 6/6 II #703, "ST. MORITZ" - Purchase Date 7/30/2008
KISS #99246 - RhB Gem 4/4, "STEINBOCK REFIT", #801 - Purchase Date 8/16/2011
KISS #99247 - RhB Gem 4/4, "MURMELI REFIT", #802 - Purchase Date 8/3/2013

Let me know what you guys think I should do. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:14 pm 

I need two:
Kiss #99235 Ge 4/4i "50MOI"
Kiss #99123 Ge6/6ii "Davos"

The idea that they would charge their customers, who purchased what they thought were top line products, for recall replacement parts for defective merchandise is repulsive. Are they crazy?
Does Toyota, Volkswagen, or any other company expect customers to pay for the recalls? No. Even when they pay for everything they are still subject to class action suits.
The paint is not only shot on my frame, and the "floor plate" but also is coming off of the trucks on both engines, not to mention all the seats have come off, and the control panels in one.
The more I hear about these kinds of moves from this company and Kiss himself, the angrier I get. Those engines cost me a huge sum. I saved for them. And after years of waiting with virtually no communication, not even an apology to their customers, they now aren't going to even fix the problem and take the consequences, but will charge customers $160 US, $230 Cdn. per engine!?!
If that actually happens, I hope the hobby magazines will interview the guy, (why haven't they done so yet?) and ask for some explanations. How can he even show his face at the toy fairs....
I think a boycott is the least we can do for him.
Sorry, I've had a long day dealing with software that isn't working when I needed it to, and so I'll put the torches and pitchforks away for now.
Maybe LGB could make some of these engines, instead of a bunch of mixed up repaints to impersonate the gleiderzug....and take his market.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:32 am 

It is only the second series of the Ge 6/6" that has defective frames (castings!!)

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:33 pm 
OK, HJ, thank you for the clearification. If it is only the Ge 6/6 that is defective, then I will only need one set of frames.

So, please put me down for a complete set of new frames to replace all 3 trucks of the Ge 6/6. Thank you HJ.

How do we make payment? And who do we make payment to? What time frame are we looking at in terms of production and receiving the items? Any photos of the prototype yet?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:48 pm 

Sorry, don't have any of the precise details yet.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:02 pm 

I'll need one, too.
thanks,
John
ps. since Kiss got back to me last time I asked about this. Maybe I'll shoot them another email and see if they intend on making these for free.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:29 pm 

One set, please.
Thank you HJ.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 am 

I've written the people at Kiss and asked if they could give us an update on the progress of the replacement frames, and if they could tell me that these will be free of charge to the customers, since it's a warranty and manufacturer's defect.
I also said, (and sent photos) that the paint was flaking off both the frames and trucks of both my engines: 6/6ii, 4/4i and if they could suggest the best way to handle that....how to remove, what paint to use instead, if primer was needed, and what the RAL color numbers are for finding the right paint. My drivers, Canton plates, and seats have all come unglued and I asked them what glue to use to reattach those.
I also asked if they would be sending the plates to customers, as many of us can install them ourselves rather than risk more damage, let alone the cost and time it would take to send all our engines in.
So I'll let you know what i hear from them. i made it clear that my many friends on a forum from around the world are eager to hear what their solutions are and when we can expect them since it has been almost two years since they announced the problems in their letter.
we shall see.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:10 pm 
John - covering all issues. Will be interesting if they address each point giving real information, or make a blanket statement that they are "working on resolving all issues". So far, with KISS's track record of responses, I'd think the later is more likely. We shall see...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:42 am 

By the looks of it everyone who needs replacement frames should contact KISS again. I just did and it will be interesting to see how long it takes to get an answer.

The first batch has reached the customers, as far as can be gathered by the sparse feedback the changeover is easy. We shall see.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:46 am 

Thanks HJ, do you know if there is a cost associated with the new frame or is KISS paying?

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 am 

Don't know yet, I asked for the total cost including shipping.
Since this has been bounced back to KISS Modellbahnen — not KISS-MBS — but Kiss Jr. who didn't want to do anything about the problem, it will be interesting to find out what the actual score will be.

They now have all my info i.e. complete shipping address, phone number, FAX number etc. etc.; basically everything and not even the hint of a reason for a flimsy excuse. We shall see!

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm 

Follow up on contact at KISS

Frau Jutta Grobauer

grobauer@kiss-modellbahnen.de

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator