RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: LGB new items 2017
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:52 am 

Keith Yundt wrote:
P.S. I just sent LGB an email outlining my concerns about their advertising....we'll see what happens. I think I can guess...

:-w

good luck with that. I spoke to a few of the guys from MLGB and came awayy feeling like I should be grateful to them. They have no idea....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:25 am 

I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure, but I'm hoping my use "misleading advertising" might make them reconsider. Nothing back from them yet.

Keith

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 am 

Keith Yundt wrote:
I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure, but I'm hoping my use "misleading advertising" might make them reconsider. Nothing back from them yet.

Keith

If you like to live to a ripe old age that's a very good plan.
Going by the feedback from several sources, MLGB looks at the people who buy their wares as "those dumbbells who buy, complain and then buy some more."

And then you look at this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1436397719718449&set=gm.10155086105144319&type=3&theater

i.e. a 16 year jump to the past.

Which reminds me; read any good books lately?? Here's one for you: "The time traveler's wife" (Audrey Niffenegger) ;) :-B

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:47 am 

A G scale impression from the Märklin IMA exhibition in Göppingen Germany:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQ5POGWrcc

Nothing new on the Swiss railway models.

The Xrot is a special real working snow blower with a miniature diesel engine from Ottmar Georgen.
It is full of technical innovations and will do some heavy duty snow clearing.
Not a series model for or from MLGB.

The next red version of the Allegra was already announced in february. And later again with the autumn news.

Although MLGB advertises with product improvements on the Allegra, they don't mention what those are. Maybe to avoid cliams from existing Allegra buyers. Only extra ball bearing wheels on the middle car won't do the trick. What has increased is the price. And still you don't know if MLGB solved all the existing issues. Spare parts are scarse or not available at all. And the electrical connectors between the cars are not designed for every day use and wear out quite soon. I still like to see a trick to get the Allegra set on the track, without uncoupling one or two cars of the three car set.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:18 pm 

I ordered the 2017 club car....a flat with bulkheads and pipes....has anybody gotten theirs yet?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 pm 

I picked up my club car yesterday. It's the flat with the bulkhead ends and the pipe load. I haven't taken a super close look at it, but it looks pretty good. The load is nicely done and has straps on it, so a little weathering and detailing will help with that. The car also looks good and the bulkheads look interesting. I don't know how accurate they are, but I applaud changing up the car a bit. It would be nice to see a variety of the dumpster/containers on these cars, too. Or make some available separately.
Won't be getting next year's an short flat from a German railway with logs on it. It has archbar trucks, which I suspect aren't correct for europe, but I'm not sure about that. Seems like a repaint of an American car.
We shall see what else they come up with, and what happens with the Brawa acquisition.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:53 pm 

Hi all,

My LGB 46695 just arrived yesterday...months after shipping in Europe as usual. I'm still waiting for the 40895 weathered two axle skip box car which is even further behind...but I digress...

Comparing this new gray Xac hopper to the previous #8737 gray anniversary hopper, here are the differences I've noted so far:
- fake load now washed in a black stain (improvement)
- wood end platforms now washed in a black stain - similar to the change in the flatcar decks (improvement)
- yellow handrails same, but holes they press into are not tight (better before, now require glue)
- truck sideframes now shiny gray instead of black (better than black but require weathering to be acceptable)
- overall gray plastic is slightly darker than the 8737...(closer to prototype maybe but doesn't match previous edition)
- outer side gates are sloppy and don't snap in place as well as previous editions (I like prev better)
- shipping box appears longer, difference internal packaging with more bubble packs (possibly better)
- printing of details/number plates etc crisper (better)
- printing of white stripe crisper but also a little brighter/faker somehow (prefer prev version)

So...a bit of a mixed bag. After I finished weathering the trucks I put them side by side and showed them to SWMBO...and she definitely preferred the new one, and I have to admit I like it better as well. Once I run some gravel through it that will dust it up a bit.

That reminds me of a saying my Dad had about getting a new gravel crusher, and why we kept rebuilding the old ones:
"The only difference between a new crusher and an old one is one day."
:p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm 

Here's a picture after weathering the trucks...
(edited pic to lighten it up a bit...)

http://forums.mylargescale.com/members/975-cougar-rock-rail-albums-misc-rolling-stock-pics-picture15553-8741-hopper.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 pm 

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your experience and upgrade of the hopper car.

MLGB didn’t make room in the underside beams for the wheels, like with the Lehmann versions.
Although after the brown and grey set I did mention it to the product manager.
And he replied that it would be corrected in a new edition of the car.
Well he didn’t get through with that one, and you still have to cut those pieces out of the underside beams. So much for product improvements. Well it was more a product downgrade compared to the Lehmann versions.

You still did a good job on your weathering of the car.
Be sure to glue those handrails on, because they are hard to come by.

Real gravel as a load would be great, with some ballbearing wheel to carry the load.
But some polystyrene foam block mockup with gravel on top would do the trick also.

I get the impression MLGB is still experimenting on the box and the inlays. They are a lot more unpractical and less durable as before. Almost unsuited for storage between use of the car. The polystyrene foam inlays tend to break very easily and the boxes have far too much unused space.