RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New MLGB 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:00 am 

Thanks HJ, everything is now up on the LGB site too.

So...your thoughts?

My initial reactions:

The Xrot looks good--nice that the side panels will open with working valve gear...but $$$$!
The Heidi in black looks good...
The Tm2/2 now comes with decoder and working uncouplers (look like Massoth to me) but also $$$
The G4/5 looks good, especially like the black cab. Unclear how they are dealing with the motor block but single motor..says up to 32 functions...but also $$$$
Nice to have the option of getting the baggage and coaches separately...they look good
The Ge4/4ii...nice but just got the tunnel lok so...

Overall, the salient feature of all these items is the pricing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised...decoders, smoke makers, uncouplers all add to the cost...and I understand they need to make money...but...how do they justify charging an extra 1000Euro for the G4/5 over the G3/4 when they both have decoders and smoke etc.?
I guess we all have to decide how badly we really want it and what our budgets (and lets face it our overlords) will allow.

Keith

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 am 

Certainly interested in the baggage and one more coach for the steam train and/or a local with the Ge 2/4.

Yep by the time we hear the prices $$$$$$ the inflation will be deflating. 8-| 8-|

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm 

I'm afraid the comment posted by GRS about it moving to collectors and the subsequent prices makes me glad I kept the Krok, Heidi and Rhätia, (plus the Harz 2-10-2's) but I won't be buying any of these to go with them simply because it's too much for occasional use at friends. Well at least it's making the Om look good value ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm 

You’re right, Paul...there’s been quite a shift in the last year or so.

I’m curious to know how much they changed/updated on the G4/5. For example, little things like did they change the pickup sliders in the tender to LGB versions? Did they just change the can motor for a Buehler and leave the Aristo gear boxes or is it an all new drivetrain? Time will tell, but it would be nice to know more details before shelling out that kind of coin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 pm 

Well, I'm underwhelmed.
Don't get me wrong - happy to see a focus on the RhB... but there just isn't much for me.

It's odd, for the last few years, each year there was those one or two items that I had to have "Take My Money!" type stuff... :-o
Then, there were always 3 or 4 items that were things I "needed" ;) to complete or continue sets... or were just nice, but I knew I'd get over the next 12 months or so from release (Birthdays, Xmas, etc...)
Finally there were the 3 or 4 items that, at closeout or sale prices, I knew I'd pick up over the next three years or so... another number of the same brown Gbk-v van, another Haik-v /:)

But with this round... I just dunno.... if the Xrot had been even 1500.00 I likely would have *had* to have it... but at those prices??
There are Allegras, Ge 4/4 IIs and IIIs and new Pullman items that are well ahead of that for half or a third of the price!

After that - not being a steam guy, I'm pretty much out of luck. The 4th version of a Tm 2/2 in orange? What, the 4th or 5th? (6th?!) Brown Gbk-v?! :-w

Call me crazy, I was really hoping we'd see a newly tooled passenger car... an EWI or, heaven forbid, a longer version EWIV...

Oh well, maybe next year. Until then I'll keep picking up items from years past I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:37 am 

Hmmmm, strange how that DR tank car "like the prototypical unit train" looks suspiciously like the RhB tank cars. I think some of the people who used to work for the US administration have started working at MLGB and like to build models with "alternative facts". This is how this gaslighting becomes standard, if you keep selling cars which are nothing like the real ones other than a bit of paint (the SP diesel which looks like the Alaska diesel is an example) eventually you expect people will buy just about anything and think it's real and correct, particularly when you say it's just like the prototype. Doesn't that constitute 'false advertising"? You are selling lies.
And you have the nerve to inflate the price by saying it's a limited edition. Good; you should limit your lying as much as possible.
Like the US, it's becoming clear this is turning into a hobby for the 1%, where things will get priced so only the few can afford to stay in it. Even ebay, Trainz and other sites like that are at pretty much the same prices as the big hobby shops....few discounts to be found anywhere.
As one gaslighter would say,"Sad....very sad". "Sloppy MLGB...."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 am 

I wonder if their "new items catalog" will have an "F-52" model coming out this year....there will be a set of tracks and you won't see anything on it. It will be a limited special one time only series, priced even higher than the Xrot. It will be the prototypical F-52 engine, which, like the F-52, is so stealthy, it's invisible! It comes with it's own piece of display track, with a clear dust cover. While it looks like there's nothing there, there really is...an invisible stealth engine. It is prototypically painted, has ball bearing wheels, traction tires, special hybrid Tesla electric engines, smoke machine (even though it's a hybrid electric engine), auto uncouplers, Swiss lights and decoder, AND includes prototypical engineer from era VII, who has been used in all LGB engines since the company began: an overscale guy in blue overalls, cap and steam era outfit, leaning forward; and many additional added details, molded in invisible colors. Production is limited to 399 worldwide (no sense in using round numbers....for some reason, 399 seems to be THE number when building limited series. ) Each comes with an authentic F-52 certificate, signed in invisible ink, by the current head of MLGB.
And there will also be the invisible MLGBClub car, which will have archbar trucks, and be an alternative version of a car that looks like an aussichtswagen but has a special bar in it, serving Tea, and a Disney style: Dixieland band playing honky tonk music. It will be protoypically lettered as the AMTRAK TEA Party Car. And is reserved for those who, even though it's invisible, will be convinced they can 'see it like it is'.
The car will cost approx. $1000.00 to middle class club members, but only $1.00 to 1% members. ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:24 am 

Quote:
As one gaslighter would say,"Sad....very sad". "Sloppy MLGB...."
:))

Well, politics aside, one thing we can all agree on is that "Our trains are yuuuuugee. Just the best. The best trains." :D

You know, I agree that the limited edition thing is dumb... but if that's how LGB wants to do business, I won't fight them. I just want them to apply it to good products.

Before investing in RhB spur IIm, I was heavily involved in 1:20.3 US Narrow Gauge. I was super active in tracking new and proposed offerings from a dozen manufacturers, traveled to most events in the US and the UK, and even helped develop products for two companies. There were all manner of approaches. Large-run plastic stuff that was not accurate, but cheap... hand built brass limited editions that were exacting in detail, and sold out instantly at multi-thousand price tags.

The thing that strikes me is that LGB could follow what others have learned if they would only try! Accucraft finally figured out that they could announce a limited edition item (in some cases as few as 50 units) and a price - then wait to see pre-orders roll in before production. They did this for 3 and 5 thousand dollar steam engines, less popular road names, and even for a set of 4 passenger cars (that itself was limited to a 100 units).

I look at the rising prices everywhere in the hobby and it just seems LGB is missing the boat. If they don't think that a "longer" modern passenger car will sell well, produce it as a limited edition! When I got into RhB it took me two years to find a KISS middle door wagen that was less the 500 bucks! Even though I assume it would be a hit, fine produce a small run to test the market. If they made a correct length EWIII and offered a limited amount of 399 - I'd be willing to spend for it. 450, 550, 600... I wouldn't buy several, but at least one... and likely a second within a years time. Surely I'm not the only one?

The point is, I think the limited edition practice can work, when what you're limiting the sales of is something accurate, and priced as a premium (but not astronomically).

In the case of the Xrot - its just TOO high a price. A US version of a similar plow, in mass, shape, and parts, costs a quarter of the price as a kit, and less that 70% of this as a finished, hand built model ready to run (and actually plows snow). And that is hand built in the US, and not in China or Eastern Europe. I guarantee that Xrot could have been offered for somewhere between 2500 and 2999 euro and LGB still would have had a very healthy margin. This just smacks of greed.

And stupidity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 am 

As an aside, on the last page of the Märklin catalog of new 2018 items, they show an HO Re4/4ii decorated in the 50th anniversary scheme—it says the SBB will run it in this scheme for one year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 am 

the thing is, if you want to build a train with several cars, and they are super expensive and limited, then you can't do it over a few years...and not everyone can sink a huge chunk of cash at once... it's discouraging.
Are they just there for the one percent?
I prefer the hobby to be inclusive, not exclusive. if they keep raising prices, then it better be accurate, run flawlessly, and had better not show up next year with just a different number and lower price.
I'm getting tired of this.