RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Mystery Auto
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:16 am 

Maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe it's just me... but why is it that from time-to-time there'll be a passenger consist with a single flat car at the back with a lone automobile. The auto is usually silver in color, but can vary in style (sedan, mini-suv...)

I've seen this arrangement in various photos and videos, and again today on the webcam.
http://webcam.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/m070720100536304

And again (but this goes against my "usually silver" statement)
http://webcam.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/m070720130624195

If I were to guess, perhaps it's a company-car used to shuffle personnel via highway??? Or maybe a deal with a rental car agency to move units???

:?: :???: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:50 am 

ok, Lou...maybe you're spending a little too much time in front of the computer. Time to go outside and walk around a bit.

Just kidding. You're very observant.
ritter
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:51 am 

Lou,

That is actually part of the regular Auto-Train service on RhB, depends on how much traffic demand there is.

You'd be amazed how many people are reluctant to drive mountain roads. :wink: :cool: :wink:

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:04 am 

Quote:
You'd be amazed how many people are reluctant to drive mountain roads

The thing that is even more amazing is that the RhB will go to the trouble of hooking up a flat for just one car/auto.
Can't see that happening in the UK - "just not the demand for it........." :roll:
BTW Lou, if you check the archive pages on the webcam you can see the service is very popular in winter when the Albula passroad is shut. In fact when demand exceeds the maximum number of axles permitted the RhB will run an extra service consisting a passenger car and a train of flats
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:49 pm 

Quote:
maybe you're spending a little too much time in front of the computer...

Amen... my pupils have grown rectangular and my legs have begun to atrophy... no matter, tomorrow is the Concours de'Elegance at Stratton and I'll be wandering about with the camera...
Quote:
...part of the regular Auto-Train service on RhB...

Thanks HJ, I knew there was auto service through Vereina, but I did not realize it is available elsewhere.
Quote:
...if you check the archive pages on the webcam...

Like I need an excuse... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:31 pm 

If you look at the same picture of the flat, you can see that guy down in the foreground with the yellow shirt on? Take a look in the archives and see how often he turns up, always the same place, always facing the same way...it's like he knows there's a camera there... :twisted:
verrrrrry interrrrrresting...
ritter :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:51 am 

Believe me the Albula Autoverlad is infinitely preferable to driving the Julier pass at night in a blizzard. We were due to do a shoot at St.Moritz and had a prang at Colmar in France so picked up a hire car but missed the last train. A left hand drive large people mover over the pass was an experience I could do without again. The classic was that we were due to move to Bergun after 4 days and a friend had a snow shoe expedition happening so asked us to pick up 20 odd sets from Zuoz before driving back. Looking down the Engadine it turned black at Midday so we drove like hell as we could see the snow front chasing us.

On the Julier the Nederlanders were driving at 20kph and we kept flying past them as they had not clocked that the pass was in imminent danger of being closed, it did, they were marooned at the hospice!. We got to Bergun then headed for Davos the next day in a super blizzard that went on for 4 days, with nearly 3 meters of snow. It was only possible to film from the mountain tops as the trains and cars were buried in snow cuttings! So I LOVE the Autoverlad Albula and Veriena.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:08 pm 

:cool: :cool: I would have loved to have the availability of a auto carrier. We drove from Maine to Arizona and back this month. :grin: :grin: Five days out and four days back. 6100 miles total for the roundtrip. :razz: Can't wait for the completion of the "Trans Atlantic Tunnel". :razz:

:grin: Jan