RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:12 pm 

Following Gions information in Toms thread about the original Tm2/2's being operable by station staff and relying on handbrakes I have a few questions.
Tom's thread for reference
http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB2/viewt ... sc&start=0
Are the Te2/2's with siderods also limited by the same restriction to station limits or do they have airbrakes?
On the Arosa line, as the Tm cannot go down the gradient, is the train engine, the Ge4/4 II, used to shunt the cement / gravel silo just outside Arosa?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:04 pm 

The Te 2/2 have an additional hand brake system which applies to all wheels.

The one stationed at Ilanz used to get out on the main to the adjacent station(s) to get or deliver cars. Must have been flat enough. :wink: :shock:

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:21 am 

Paul

the Te 2/2 has (or had) only lever-operated hand brakes, no air or vaccum brakes for itself or to brake a coupled car. The current rule book (FDV) calls for air brakes on all switching moves and allows tractors without air brakes only in certain well specified cases, like: a small Tm might be used to move gravel cars up to 200 tons total back and forth for loading. I would be very careful moving 200 t with a 9 t machine...

But then, the rules change with time, and up to the 1980s it was allowed to have switching moves just with hand brakes on a tractor and a fraction of the cars to go out on the road. There are hairy tales told about how the Te 2/2 from Thusis went to Sils i.D. to get loaded gravel cars and descended the 25 per mill to Thusis just with a hand brake or two, relying on the level track in Thusis to stop them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:36 am 

Thanks again Gion. Funnily enough I know similar things were done on a preserved railway over here 20 odd years ago, a five ton simplex shunting tractor and two bogie ballast wagons. Ok lads when I toot the horn three times wind on the handbrakes, what we didn't think about was how effective WW1 wagons handbrakes would be on even a slight gradient when fully loaded ;) still we stopped . . . . . eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:48 am 

I'm curious about the Tm 2/2's after rebuilding, were they still without pneumatic brakes, and thus limited to station work?

I'm learning my interpretation of switching and local freights is WAAAAY off from the RhB's practices. I'm used to what I do at work, where we do all the switching, not having a station switcher to spot cars for us. I'm slowly re-educating myself and reviewing my operational plans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:40 pm 

Especially at terminus stations they seem to quite happily use the train loco for shunting, I've seen this at Arosa and St Moritz, which I suppose makes sense as it's already On and they have time before the return working. At the through stations it makes sense to have the Tm poised to add or remove stock as required without having to uncouple the train loco and recharge the whole system. When no mainline loco is around then the Tm's are available so they are the only choice. Are the staff who worked the old Tm's allowed to operate the newest ones too or do they now have to be a full driver?