RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood firing
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:13 pm 

I have a photo in a book of a G4/5 stopped below Cavardurli Tunnel, the tender is full of logs. Any ideas when and for how long the RhB had to use logs?
I have had to fire my own steam roller ( sadly gone, smokebox rot )with wood when we had the miners strike in the Thatcher years. I was struggling to get 50lbs on the clock ( 3atm ) with the box full of logs, goodness knows what a struggle they must have had on 1 in 22 gradients!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:37 pm 

Chris

I presume you mean the picture on p. 33 of Peter Pfeiffer's "Aus den Anfaengen der Rhaetischen Bahn".

It shows the operation when the Cavaduerli loop tunnel had to be repaired and widened for electrification in 1920. The RhB burned wood during and shortly after WWI for obvious reasons. From what I read wood was used together with coal to make supplies last longer. Maybe coal was used uphill and wood downhill... The loco shown has just made the trip up, presumably with what little coal it received, and will use the high heap of wood on the trip back.

I have no knowledge whether the locos were adapted for wood burning with different grates and smokebok adjustments, but I don't think so, apart from the tender railings. In my guess wood was used to stretch coal supplies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:14 am 

Exactly Gion, the book is a mine of information just from photo interpretation. I think your idea of supplementing the coal is spot on given my experience on it's lack of heating abilities in a loco boiler. The ash problem and the problem of lineside fires must have been something else.