RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:07 pm 

Chris,
there do seem to be many variables and maybe we are looking at the subject from too modern a standpoint.
Sure we want to get it right, but maybe we are slightly blinkered by the pre-conceived notion about all things Swiss being neat, tidy, ordered.
We are used to the modern ideas of 'corporate image' where everything meets a standard: logos, fonts, colours.
Given the timeframe we are studying, the relative lack of technology and the fact the LD and RhB performed pretty amazing feats to bring the railways into being and to run them as going concerns, perhaps they were too busy doing this to worry about local variations in paint shade or typeface. To cite a comparison, most people interested in motor racing would be amazed to find that the classic 'British Racing Green' was never one agreed colour, it was just GREEN.
Having said all that, the subject is fascinating and definitely worth trying to get a handle on. And I really want to find out what that font is that they used on the 4 axle coaching stock! So far I can find nothing really like it, apart from Comic Sans MS and I'm pretty sure Microsoft wasn't around in the 1920/30s!! Perhaps someone in Club 1889 knows?
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:43 pm 

Exactly Mike, my models are all shades of fir green, because they WERE all shades! It would be nice to get a bit closer on the fonts though, mind I do not think there is a prayer of us getting anywhere near the comic type font, but we might at least get a consensus on the colours ! These pedantic Brits, really!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:54 am 

Being unable to move much out of a chair at present I am still researching the accuracy of the so called bibles on the RhB. I find it deeply depressing when Schweers + Wall book 1 shows coach ABC 610 with the large RhB script clearly with a drop shadow, the lettering and numerals also clearly have drop shadows. However on page 245 their guide to colours and script shows coach A1104 with the correct script but not the drop shadow. This calls into question the verasity of the information if a reference book cannot maintain its accuracy within one book. I will contact Peider Haertli at the RhB as the information he gives for era 1b at least acknowledges the red drop shadow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:33 pm 

Chris,
re the elusive script - not there yet, but closing in on it :!:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:45 pm 

Gosh Mike! That is quite amazing, this site really is the RhBs buffers. If you want the definite answer ask the combined minds that HJ has garnered from around the world. Excellent result.