RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:52 am 

Many thanks for the kind words all of you, I feel I have found a home on this forum, as many of the interesting ( I think ) subjects seemed to go well over the heads of many G scalers. I do not think of myself as a boring rivet counter so to be told to p... off to the Gauge 0 guild was a little un-nerving on a UK G scale forum.

Well Duncan, my good friend and co RhB nutter andI were talking about my Regner G4/5 and all the problems I have had. Party to this is Mick Tonks a first class model engineer who has been trying to make a good running loco out of the parts supplied!

Out of our deliberations came the operation of the valve gear reverser on the various classes of steam locos. This is the heavy bit now! If you examine the G3/4 you will see that there is a link to the expansion link that faces forward and thus the reach rod to this from the reverser screw operates in the normal manner ie. moves forward to drop the valve rod to the bottom of the expansion link. This is a slide valve loco with inside admission so forward gear has the valve rod at the bottom and thus the reverser screw has a right hand thread. However, the Mallets have the the opposite operation ie the link to the reverser reach rod is facing backwards, we have then assumed that the reverser has a left hand thread. This also applies to the compound G4/5s 101-106, but as 107 on are outside admission piston valve locos the reverser would have to revert to RH thread. Are we safe to assume that the Mallets and the compound G4/5s did have LH thread reversers in order to maintain the norm of clockwise for forward gear? It would seem to be a weird idea if part of your steam fleet operated the reversers backwards!! Anyone any wiser?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:08 pm 

Hello Chris

Make sure to call me next time you are around Chur.

I am not terribly proficient in the nomenclature of all those rods and pieces but I do have a copy of the "Schweizer Bauzeitung" of the early 1900s handy. There I found a line drawing of a Mallet and it shows the solution: The nut on the reverser screw is not directly connected to the rod, but through a lever with a central fulcrum, which inverts is direction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:05 am 

Gion you are a star! I will certainly call you, Sue and I are hoping to get some more filming done in September. The Cantonal Archive is a treasure house of information, much of which has not seen the light of day for probably a century. Lots more to post! We are in contact with Willi Hochstrasse and are getting some good answers, the social and operating history is the problem on the LD, how did they run double headed both ways? What a sight 2 trains reversing in Klosters must have been but no photos!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:49 am 

New update!! you are right Gion, looked at the drawing of Maloja and there is the reversing link BUT, on my drawing of 104 the reverser screw is the same as 107, so it must be lefthand thread. Oh to be able to go back in time, and see if Claude Jeanmaire was right.