RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CH Travel Plans
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:54 pm 

I am planning a trip to Graubunden in the spring. My idea is to make my base in Chur and stay there most of my 10 days. Other than that, I thought I might stay in Tirano for a day or two. Any suggestions as I want to hit all the Rhb routes? :D

Post subject: Re: CH Travel Plans
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:37 pm 

Terry,

All the RhB routes in 10 days? Sounds like a tall order IMHO. ;) :)
Are there particular sites, towns, museums, mountains, rivers etc. which you want to see?
Make a list and plot them out geographically. This might help you plan your schedule.

IFO recommend Pontresina as home base for a few days. It gives you access to the entire Bernina Bahn route as well as all of the Engadine. The workshops in Samedan are great for a tour if you can arrange one. Chur is a smart choice, too, for a few days.

I'm sure everyone here on the forum who has traveled the RhB previously will give you really good suggestions! :D

Have fun,
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:45 am 

Day return to Arosa is always nice. Up in the morning, gentle walk round the lake, light lunch and back to Chur in time for team and medals.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 am 

You might like to stay at Hotel Grischuna in Filisur if you haven't already done so--the food, hospitality, and views of the trains are all top notch. From there you can do various walks such as to the castle ruins, take a train to Preda and then walk back to Bergun along the path that gives spectacular scenery and train viewing opportunities.

Keith

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:19 pm 

Thank Keith. I would have liked to stay at the Hotel Grishuna, but it booked during my trip. It seems to be very popular. Is it worth staying in Tirano?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:52 pm 

Hotel Grishuna is usually shut in April, their chance for a holiday between seasons I suspect, but I would agree great place and superb food. A visit to the Albula Museum in Bergun is a good half day - fascinating information about the construction of the line and social history surrounding it. They also have the Croc driving simulator if you fancy trying your hand!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:26 pm 

You can do Chur to Disentis and Chur to Arosa both in one day, but not much time to look round.
Chur to Scuol via Landquart and Klosters. Return via Pontresina, St Moritz or just along to Samedan and back to Chur, leave Tirano to St Moritz until you stay over that side.

All the time tables are at www.fahrplanfelder.ch
You can also get a local book that covers the trains, buses and cable cars free of charge when you arrive.

I see the krok at Berguen has been moved under the cover that was recently built at the end of the building.