RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 am 

Yep health situation is improving — lots of rest, as little stress as possible etc. etc.

The wild fire situation? The valley is still full of smoke — now drifting up from Washington state.

Around here? The park people finally posted some real signs.

This version had been up for weeks and was, by the usual assholes, regarded as a "recommendation" and readily ignored.

That's what it looks like anywhere in the Valley without irrigation!!!!

Latetest versions of signs

Can$ 1'000'000+ is an impressive number what impresses me more is the patrols!

BTW some of the rattlers moved into the neighbourhood looking for moisture, because we still irrigate 3 times a week.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:21 pm 

Anyone who smokes there should have a few rattlers put in their car!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:39 pm 

ritter - John N wrote:
Anyone who smokes there should have a few rattlers put in their car!

You got that right! X( Since I have "rattler transporting experience" I would volunteer. ;)

Now for the really good news: "Raven" and I were out for our morning walk in a gently falling summer rain. The nine weeks of complete dryness and heat have finally ended. There's more rain in the forecast starting the middle of next week.
I'm I fit enough for a proper rain dance, yet? Not really but getting there, things improve every day. B-) B-) B-)

I'll be doing some more cleaning up in the garage, getting ready for some "nice and easy projects" aka sitting down while tinkering next week.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:21 pm 

Glad to hear your health is improving HJ! The rain sure is nice--we finally got some too. I spent the week ripping up track, moving rocks, backfilling and laying new track, and was just getting to the soil when it rained. That's Murphy for you. I hope to do the ballasting tomorrow and give the new track layout a try. Basically I put in a bypass line which creates a nice long passing siding and also added some storage sidings. While moving around some old rocks I'd been saving, I found a black widow with her egg sac. I put them in a jar to show my little nephew and in case he wanted to take it in to show his kindergarten class...but he couldn't bring himself to touch the jar--can't understand why! :D

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 am 

good thing you found that spider before it found you.
We've had rain throughout the summer, namely every time I got on the excavator to dig my front yard. Piled up lots of dirt realizing I had more then I had places to put it. Pouring rain washed in all the trenches I'd dug.
So I rented a bin, and a kubota tractor with bucket and backhoe, thinking it was perfect. The stupid thing had no power and as soon as the bucket dug into the pile the transmission slipped. I could pick up more with my shovel, and once again within 15 minutes of climbing on: torrential downpour. While transporting a large stone slab step, it slid sideways into one of the trenches, and I had to use the backhoe to claw my way back out again. Got the steps in though. So now I had to rent a bobcat with treads to see if I could get rid of the dirt, and grade for the walkway. Another 500.00 rental (this is number three plus the bin). I get on board and this little sucker just chews right into the dirt. I got it picked up and into the bin YAY. Then the heavens open up....sliding around trying to grade, mud everywhere....neighbors now looking out the windows making faces....
Then of course, I get a job 6 days aweek on film set, for 4 weeks. My lawn looks like Vimy Ridge. Yesterday a three year old walking along the street with her Dad stops in front of our walk and looks up at me, with our dog and says, "Did your house get DESTROYED???" As only a 3 year old can. Dad and I have a laugh. Then I broke out in tears....."I'm trying damnit.....what more do you people want!? I'm and actor, not John f**ing Deere!!" Aahahahahaaaaa, as I fell to my knees in the muck....
But today there is sunshine and breezes to dry the land......I don't have a job scheduled for a month, and my wife is commenting on the weather...that it might be the kind of weather to dry the soil.....so....I.....could.....fin---ish.......the project I said would take just a weekend.....
we shall see.....no more machines......can't afford it now.... I have big white bags of gravel filling my driveway.....looks like a marshmallow bag burst open....

as for rattlers....when I lived in Iowa we'd see them on sunny days tanning on the rocks....made me jump more than a few times on trails, but few people ever got bitten. Just had to be careful. Once you've heard that buzz, you never forget it. ;-)

Very glad to hear you're on the mend HJ. Enjoy the tinkering and small stuff...the rest will still be there. ;-)
I think some of your apfel stollen would help.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 am 

Interesting report this morning: first snowfall warning for our mountain passes, all at 1600m or there abouts. Yep, it won't be long now. B-)

At the end of last XC skiing season I promised myself a Garmin Vivoactive HR smartwatch; the price dropped to $250 on Thursday, I ordered / reserved one Friday and picked it up Saturday. First test for precise calibration was yesterday and I'm good to go. It keeps statistics of all kinds of "stuff".
End of the week we'll get our season passes and then it's "come on snow!!!! Set my kilometer target, too. As always one step at a time.
Part of the dry land training happens on the wind-load trainer, that, with plenty of walking, should have me good and ready for the season opener in early November. :-$ :-$ :-$

Today is more clearing action at #40, first the large boxes and then the Red Boxes. Everything except the packing for the engines goes for recycling. Before and after picture to follow. ;) ;)

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 am 

HJ

How does the Garmin compare to the Fitbit or Apple Watch 3??

Jan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:38 am 

Seems to be the only one which has a special app specifically written for XC skiing, in the price range that suits me. ;) :D

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:27 pm 

Garmin has good service, too. I have one for my bike and really like it, better than my old polar system.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am 

HJ & John,

Check out STRAVA to store the workouts from your Garmins.
Fun to track and analyse your performance. And a good idea to periodically dump history from your GPS device.
RELIVE is another app that takes your Strava data and creates a "movie" of your course, laid over a satellite map.
Garmin Connect/Garmin Express is another good one, and will tell you if a firmware update is available for your device.
I prefer Strava since the global cycling community widely uses it and I can keep in touch with my friends and their riding adventures.

Cheers,
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:30 pm 

I was planning to get on my wind-load trainer on Monday, thank goodness tomorrow is Friday and ... if it doesn't rain I'll be clearing in the garden. If it rains there is plenty left over indoors, stalled out by
crap that should just flow, preferably downhill!!! X( X(

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator