RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:17 pm 

Ok, so as I continue my quest to build a nice roster or modern-ish RhB equipment, and associated items, I've come upon a puzzling (at least to me) question.

I'm sure most everyone here can picture the basic "starter" set LGB has been pumping our for 20+ years. Typically a lok and two wagons - it's either been a Stainz or a Schoema unit with varied 4 wheel wagons. i.e. the Staniz with two flat cars or something like the diesel plus a tank car and flat with a toy car or container. Lots of times it's an "LGB" or other banded set (Cricus, Lehman Oil, "auto transporter," etc.) with a cheap power pack and circle of track.

Right - so you all now know what I'm thinking about...

Here's what I don't get. There seem to be 100 different versions of the Schoema unit. 7 or 8 versions each of the yellow, orange and FO red units. There have been DB and DR branded ones. Some green ones, a blue one... even a green and white (MTS) unit.

What there hasn't been? A white logo-ed engine... preferably with a Sersa logo! :-?
Why has the "work train set" not been updated with branded Furrer+Frey or J. Müller wagons? :-w

At a point in time where we see less and less 4 wheel wagons operating on the RhB (or the FO / SBB / etc), but there are two "road names" that appear on several meter gauge railways, why on earth haven't we seen a modern dienstzug set offered? If I'm not mistaken, Sersa and F+F literally buy the retired cars from places like the RhB - paint them up and in MOW white/yellow etc and put them straight back on the previous railway's tracks! LGB could be offering cars, right now, from their existing molds that are "accurate" for folks modeling the current era. :-??

While we're at it... how about the rainbow painted A&M AG Recycling Boxcars?! Fun, brightly colored stuff for the "toy collectors" and yet an accurate, modern item for us "modelers"...

Is LGB / Marklin THAT blind?

Think about it - they pump out starter sets with made up "LGB" or "Lehman Bros" road names... why not an accurate one? Talk about having a reason to have a flat car transporting Container Units?! Or a dump truck for that matter!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:22 pm 

Josh U wrote:
Is LGB / Marklin THAT blind?

Short answer is yes, they are that blind. The conversation I had with them in Cologne in November was that we should be grateful that they produce what they do. Thet seem to be p!ssing off many German collectors with their attitude as far as I can tell. The crazy thing about it all is that you are absolutely correct, Bemo do it successfully and so it would make perfect sense for LGB to do it. Afterall, many of us like the different liveries and paint schemes, it pleases the family to see bright colourfull trains running round and gives us a bit more freedom....

M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:31 pm 

Yep, that seems about right regarding the arrogance of the MLGB flunkies. Add to that their inability to learn anything from past mistakes. X( X(

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:50 pm 

That's what happens when a group of venture capitalists take something over who know nothing about the area they're getting into, and then wonder why it's not performing to their "profit at all costs/take no prisoners" approach. I thought the idea was to make it better, and thus more profitable, rather than dictate, cut back and don't listen to customers....