RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:53 am 

Hi guys,
Everybody must be busy getting ready for the holidays....very quiet out here. :)
I'm trying to get a few things sorted before our dollar totally tanks.
As we head for the holidays, I wish all my friends here, around the world a wonderful holiday season: Christmas, Hanukkah, Divali, and other holidays at this time.
It's always a pleasure to disconnect from the crazy world we're in these days, and check in with friends here about our passion for trains and our "miniature transportation systems" and how to model, design, build, and run them better.
I am grateful for my friends here.
Best wishes to you all!
Sincerely,
John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:32 pm 

Hmmmm .... you noticed. ;) Yep very quiet, indeed. :-? :-?

I've been busy skiing right up to the day when SWMBO got home from CH (on Samichlaus day), that was the same day the cold weather arrived (BIG TIME).

On that ordering business, given the situation I'll be ordering "stuff" out of Europe, again. I ordered some stuff from Plastruct and the total was a bit of a shocker. However it gets my catenary project well under way and there will be some alternative (sooner or later) to sidestep the hoopla.

What was in SWMBO suitcase other than chocolate and such? the LOKI-Spezial #40 called "Dampf bei der RhB" (Steam on the RhB), now that was worth the CHF29.90. Super stuff with all kinds of pictures that are new to me, despite having what SWMBO considers "everything on RhB steam". 8-| 8-|

The past few days I've been puttering around with a few minor projects, but it's back into the groove (that's not the same as the rut! :ymdevil: ) come tomorrow, today I'm watching the snow come down and a really large flock of starlings doing their thing over the lake — nope, one can't see across the lake, snowing too hard. :D :D

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:08 pm 

I'm home... :D

...just trying to get work and the house buttoned up before heading to Germany for the holidays! :-ss

I've admittedly fallen behind in projects... got several just sitting, waiting... maybe 2017 will be the year! :))

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:47 pm 

It's snowing quite hard here in Toronto all of a sudden. Nice big fluffy stuff. Of course, I was going to put up lights etc. tomorrow.
No matter.
Pretty much done filming til the new year, with one more day. Tonight the actress I coach on Orphan Black is up for a Critic's Choice Award. Fingers crossed for her.
And getting things ready for the holidays. Got the tree, just have to get it inside. Lots to keep me busy. And during the holidays, finishing laying my track in the crawlspace, and then hooking up the MX10 and see if I can get it going, and any trains running....I have to be careful in the crawl space, since I'm sitting on the floor....can't get too excited or I'll smack my head. Feels like a mining railway ;-)
It will be good to distract from the climate these days. Even though I'm in Canada, the US election and what's happening is so depressing. It's stressful. Trains can take some of that away.
Break out the Christmas CDs.......

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:23 pm 

Indeed, forum has been dead lately.

Not much to report from Long Island.
Laid some track on the Railroad, Thiel 12.5 degree turnout and double slip switch to test the track out for use in the next Railroad. Have not wired it up yet - plan on using Tortoise turnout motors. The ZIMO system is in Austria for repairs. Complete system failure: MX10 and 2 x MX32FU's.

Machining the porting for the Piston Valves and Main Cylinders for the HSB 99-222. Working on a photo montage to post an update on the forum shortly. Thought I would have had it done by now, but, not much free time.

Just busy overall - lots of patients all rushing to have surgery prior to the new year when there deductibles reset, many getting on waiting lists for the post-Obamacare era in hopes of having procedures approved by future insurance which is now denied. As John said in the last post - lots of unsettled people post-election. But, we wouldn't want to discuss it here...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 am 

I've been busy getting the layout ready for June, found 3 sidings that hadn't been wired and the date the control panel was completed, looks like I've not been rushing thing s too much. At least it runs pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 am 

Thanks John...best wishes to you and everyone else here for the holidays!

It's just been one of those years for me...work has been crazy busy and so too much time away from home this summer, although I did manage to get the CN crane built somehow. The garden layout has really suffered, though...after the open house we had in the Spring it's basically sat unattended all summer with the exception of all the deer who have run roughshod over it--crushing plants, bending railings and switch stands, eating and ___ all over it. So now that winter has arrived, I'm getting the itch to get going on a new project inside so I'm thinking I'll get back to the big Kirow crane. Add to that my joints are giving me troubles I think me and my layout are at new lows. :-) But it could be worse.. :-)

Keith

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:04 pm 

Yes been working on the HSB layout rather than RhB projects ;)
After a difficult couple of years it's my friends who provide the smiles and a mad evening was followed by a second to assemble this lot, my friends daughter was chief architect of this shopping spree ;)

Merry Christmas :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:36 pm 

Looks great, Paul. A model railroader in the offing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:08 am 

That is neat Paul.

I'm a big L brick fan.

Jan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:18 am 

ritter - John N wrote:
Looks great, Paul. A model railroader in the offing.

She won't admit it but somehow ends up on the trips out ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm 

I still have my original Lionel train which my Dad gave me as a small boy. I place that on the mantel as a reminder of the happiness it brought me so long ago and the fascination of a train at Christmas.
There is a music store which has a small holiday layout in it's window with an HO train zooming around the oval. Nice to see some people still like to do that for the holidays. It still looks great.