RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:10 am 

I have a feeling that they will follow the same regulation as the USA https://www.faa.gov/uas/

In the USA anything over 250 grams needs a license. My larger drone, SYMA X5HC (that doesn't hover), weighs just 140 grams including, battery, camera, protective guards and improvements.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:42 pm 
Keith,
There already are regulations concerning drones. You need to register the drone with the FAA, take a short exam, and obtain a license. This has been making HUGE waves in the model aviation hobby for about 5 years now. The problem is that with the invention of POV flight (Point of View) and GPS stabilization and autopilot systems where you can fly the drone OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT or have it autonomously fly a predefined course programmed using Google Earth, there is a concern of drones impacting aircraft. The regulations are very broad. So, like HJ said, anything between 250g and 55lbs you need the license. Anything over 55lbs, enters into another category.

The problem is, those who have been doing this for years and years and always fly low and within line of sight have never been an issue, but now find themselves being regulated. Those who are not in the model aviation hobby and just purchase a drone off Amazon or wherever and get into trouble with them is what the law is focused on. People have been bring drones to sporting events, parades, gatherings of people (to get photos), fly beyond line of site, or high in altitude near active airports - and since they are not in the model aviation hobby, they don't have any idea about how real aircraft fly or where they fly.

For example, one of my helis is about 15 lbs. My other scale heli is closer to 50lbs. Neither registered. They fly under 100 feet, always line of site, and at model aviation fields which are located no where near active airports or flight paths. 75% or more of those in the same boat as I have not registered either. One guy in one of the local clubs built a drone with a 100+ mile range. 100 miles! He flies with POV goggles at high altitude. He brings a 32" screen with him to the field so we can watch his flight. He will fly out over the beach about 6 miles south of the heli field. Clearly, he poses a far greater risk to aircraft. He is not registered, although should be.

The FAA's mandate is sort of like gun control. People who go out and purchase a gun legally, and go through the background check, and all the paperwork and whatnot, are typically not the people who get in trouble with them. The criminals obtain guns illegally and could care less about stricter background checks and paperwork. Now, I am not a gun person, I don't own a gun, and I have no position one way or another on guns. I am just using it as an example of how a law with good intentions targets the wrong people - those who should be targeted don't follow the laws anyway.

Despite the FAA mandate, there are very few who register their drones or other RC aircraft. Some of these guys have been flying for 50 years. Nothing will change their opinions. Those who are not in the model aviation hobby and purchase drones for any number of reasons, don't even know about the mandate, thus don't register. Thus, the FAA targeted the wrong crowd and wonders why no one is registering. It is very interesting...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:23 pm 

While not everyone is enthusiastic about the FAA's approach, most of the "droners" are familiar with what the regulations are i.e. anything less than 250 grams gross weight is exempted. Which means just about anything that is sold as a toy squeezes in under the limit.

If Transport Canada plans on licencing every Nano size quadcopter they will be more than just nuts, they will be extremely busy handling the paper work.
Since they can't keep up with what the railways are doing, they can't possibly keep up with the quadcopters in the Nano to Mini size, all of which are very light, have limited features — just like the 3 in this house.

So who gets a license/exemption? Most of the smart operators for various reasons, one of which is the Fly-Away. If the drone is registered and the registration info included with the drone, chances are good of getting the drone back, except perhaps from an alligator infested swamp or if it flies out to sea.

The weight cut-off seems to be at around 400mm x 400mm in the "El Cheapo" class.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm 

The replacement drone arrived this afternoon, installed the pieces and took it for a test. Low and behold ... it actually hovers. it also behaves very nicely to control commands e.g. descending at a slow, controlled rate works as it should.
Video test etc. has to wait 'til Friday, when the rain finally stops err I mean is supposed to stop!

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 am 

here's Tesla's version http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog ... filmmaking

and this company is one of the leaders. They are used in the film industry, aside from some custom builders.
http://www.dji.com/products/drones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:46 pm 
John is correct, DJI is well known. As I posted before, check out Bergen RC. http://www.bergenrc.com/
Not only do they make some of the best helicopters on the market, as well as turbines, but, they make multirotor drones: http://www.bergenrc.com/Multi.php which are ready to fly. They are used extensively in the film industry. They can even carry a RED 4K and 5K video system. I have seen these things in person - they are incredible. I have FLOWN the Bergen Turbine (Intrepid). Wow, so easy to fly, and the turbine is just over the top fantastic. Check out the link if nothing more then out of fascination of what the best of the best has to offer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:06 pm 

nice video of the Bergen.....but kind of strange that they demo it by flying it right up to powerlines and transformers. I get the 'inspection' idea, but just waiting for the sparks. ;-)
That looks a lot like what we fly on the film set. Ours are mainly custom made locally. The reason I was told by the builder, is that given the value of the lenses and cameras in film, they have to be certain that everything is up to snuff technically. He said that they had had instances of foreign components that had weak solder spots, or boards give out and drop a drone. So they make sure they know exactly what's in it and that it meets their specs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:21 pm 

AFAIC DJI is close to the same cult as Apple.
Staples has a real sale on now: Yuneec Typhoon H for Can$1299.00 http://www.staples.ca/en/Yuneec-Typhoon-H-Hexacopter-Drone-4K-Camera-YUNTYHBUS-/product_2313160_2-CA_1_20001 not as famous as DJI (yet), but the best for autonomous flight — program and send it on its way — and excellent video. It also folds up its legs so one can shoot 360º by simply letting the gimbal turn the camera in a full circle. No legs in the way to spoil the view.
In my quest to get as much info as possible I signed up for the Autel, DJI and Yuneec owner groups on FB. The field has been narrowed to just those three — with Yuneec leading the pack — while I fiddle with the small ones until next Spring. AND have a good chuckle when another one of the SYMA takes off for the Wild Blue Yonder. ;) :D

BTW had the critter out earlier this afternoon, 20kmh wind but flying as expected with the usual groaning on the video when heading into the wind and easy drifting back with the wind.
I'm also quite familiar with those sub-subpar solder connections. The busiest theme on the SYMA owners group? How to fix and improve, like the one guy who smashed two cameras this past week, a 1080p and a 4K. Not a pretty sight. :((

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:47 am 

After very careful consideration I've decided that I don't need a "real" photo/video quadcopter. A big rig would be way too risky where I go rail fanning, as anyone who is vaguely familiar with my favourite areas down the canyons and in the mountains would agree. Too much wind and terrain that would make retrieving a downed quad very tricky or impossible.

So it's one more of the "El Cheapo" 300+mm Class. That should do the trick around the garden, in the neighbourhood and even for railfanning, if it's in tame territory with no wind. The new one will have FPV (First Person View) to see what is being shot.

Doodling around the garden very quickly showed that FPV was a must. The video will be a good illustration for both the "no wind" rule and the absolutely required feedback.

https://vimeo.com/190790581

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:03 am 

Forgot to add which "El Cheapo" is on the way as I type.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01A1XRHEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I have just an "El Cheapo" smart phone (BLU 4.5"display) — yes, I skimp on all the less important "stuff" in life to afford the rest — I'll have a close look at the smart phone bracket. Then beef it up for one of the 7" tablets. ;)

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:52 am 

What is the flight time.

Is there more of a power drain with a constant hover?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:07 am 

The standard 650mAh battery is apparently good for 6+ minutes.

The 750 mAh battery (Holy Stone) gives me 10+ minutes of flight on the SYMA X5HC.
Haven't had a really calm day to see how long it would hover in place when trimmed to one spot, but I expect that holding vertical doesn't take more power than usual.
I have a whole list of points I want to get results on once the new one arrives.

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:24 pm 
HJ -
Please check out the site: http://www.helidirect.com/
They sell everything for RC model aviation. The site is fantastic. Obviously, they sell drones as well.

The reason why I am suggesting this site, since you already have a drone, is that you will be able to purchase replacement parts or upgrade parts for your drone. Additionally, you can purchase batteries in just about every dimension you can think of and far more powerful then a 600 or 750 mAh battery. Batteries currently go up to about 20,000mAh, which likely won't fit your bird, but, you can certainly purchase small size batteries in the 2000-3000mAh range.

I use a 3500mAh battery for the receiver only on my TRex700 heli. Then, power the motor by 2 x 12,000mAh batteries. So, there are numerous possibilities out there.

Food for thought...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:13 pm 

Jonathan L wrote:
HJ -
Please check out the site: http://www.helidirect.com/
They sell everything for RC model aviation. The site is fantastic. Obviously, they sell drones as well.

The reason why I am suggesting this site, since you already have a drone, is that you will be able to purchase replacement parts or upgrade parts for your drone. Additionally, you can purchase batteries in just about every dimension you can think of and far more powerful then a 600 or 750 mAh battery. Batteries currently go up to about 20,000mAh, which likely won't fit your bird, but, you can certainly purchase small size batteries in the 2000-3000mAh range.

I use a 3500mAh battery for the receiver only on my TRex700 heli. Then, power the motor by 2 x 12,000mAh batteries. So, there are numerous possibilities out there.

Food for thought...

Duly noted, thanks. ;) One of the drawbacks of going the frugal route is: one doesn't want to push the limits! For instance if the OEM battery is 650mAh it is best to stay within the 1000mAh limit (approx 150% of the OEM) to be reasonably sure the motors and the board can take it for that duration. While I'm pretty handy replacing things, it's the hassle of getting parts that's more bothersome — that is short of getting a replacement drone from the dealer. In which case there will be enough parts from the original PoS. :ymdevil: :D

BTW Holy Stone has a bit of a mix-up with the actual size of their batteries, which means I'll wait for the parcel to arrive in order to measure the battery. By the looks of it I believe the largest capacity will be a 1200mAh C25 .... but that would be pushing it. :-o :-o

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:19 am 
HJ,
I understand what you are saying. Remember, with these batteries there are 2 factors: the capacity (mAh) and the discharge (the 'C' rating). Some components will not be able to take a higher discharge battery (such as installing a 50C if the stock is 20C). HOWEVER, the mAh is just the "storage capacity" of the battery. The components on the drone (speed controller, motors, etc...) have no idea if you put a 650mAh battery in or a 650,000mAh battery (exaggeration for demonstration). The difference will be how long the battery will power the aircraft before it goes dead (speed controller detected voltage is below set point and starts powering down motors). A 650mAh battery would give you 6 minutes, and a 650,000mAh would give you 6 days (again, exaggeration, but you get the point). The actual amperage going through the system would NOT change despite the increase in mAh of the battery.

Your only issue may be cooling. If the motors run for 6 minutes, they will increase in temperature by a given amount. If they run for 30 minutes, they will increase in temperature by a greater amount. If cooling is appropriate, they will be fine. So, with a higher capacity (mAh) battery, you can fly for 15 minutes, land to cool off the equipment, then take off again without needing a recharge. That is what many do. Many, including myself, also run temperature sensors on the motor and speed controller which transmit back to the controller, so, we can monitor temps in real time.

But, you can safely increase the mAh of the battery maintaining the same C rating without issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next