RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 am 

My trip to Graubunden is just over a month away. I would love some suggestions as to what other fun things people in the group have done other than ride the trains. Thank you! :^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 pm 

Walking is good - if you enjoy it! Filsur to Landvasser is nice and you can visit both viewing platforms. A trip up the Arosa line from Chur with a walk round the lake and lunch is a good way to spend most of a day. If you are in Bergun, the Albula Railway Museum is fascinating as a history of both the railway but also social history and the impact on the area. All depends on what you enjoy I guess and how you are travelling. Trip Advisor is a great source to find items that spark your interest! https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... _Alps.html Do hope you enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm 

there are plenty of walks, problem will be snow still being around at higher levels,
Pontresina to St Moritz is nice.
A lot of the places such as the Davos toboggan run (on metal rails) will not yet be open for the summer.
There is a nice mineral museum in Disentis, also the monastery.
Whereabouts, and when, are you staying?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:43 pm 

Food is good :) and I didn't eat at the same place twice in ten days. Zernez station cafe was good after a day walking in the national park. We took the postbus a few miles up the valley from Zernez and had a long walk seeing Marmots and Ibex.
The walk down from Preda to Bergun is lovely, if you're keen you can do it uphill instead ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 am 

the spa in Pontresina is always a hit with the family. The kids are happy with the pool and my wife takes herself for one of the treatments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 pm 

I’m staying in Chur for three days, Pontresina for three days and Zurich for a few days where I will take some day trips. Is there anything interesting in Tirano or close?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:28 pm 

Well Zurich has the cathedral and Fraumünster church down where the river meets the lake. They are impressive if you like architecture :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:40 am 

In Tirano - close to the station, http://www.palazzosalis.com/ super museum and gardens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 am 

Check out the summer only bus from Pontresina to Livigno then on to Zernez, might have started running by the time you get there, worth it for the scenery. same applies to he bus from Tiefencastel to St Moritz.
Another option is to use the chair lift at Scuol and walk back along the path to Ftan.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:59 pm 

Back from my trip to Switzerland. Finally got to see the RhB up close. Bought a 5 day unlimited Graubunden pass. Perfect weather and not many people. Road the entire line multiple times. Highlights were Chur - which is a lovely, charming city. Great stay at the Romantik Hotel Stern - terrific food. The ride to Arosa was stunning. Calanda Beer was surprisingly good. Loved the Landquart to Scoul-Tarasp ride. The Engadine stations. Seeing all the stations was great. Lots of inexpensive food options in the station cafes. Good sandwich at the St. Moritz station. The ride from Pontresina to Alp Grum is, of course, breathtaking. Hiked from Pontresina to the Morterasch Glacier. Saw the Ibex above Pontresina. Hiked from Filisur to the Landwasser Viadukt. Rosti was yummy. Great pizza at the Hotel Station in Pontrsina. Saw most of the RhB trains of note. Loved the Om layout in the RhB museum and talking to the gentleman that built it. Quite the craftsman. Also, enjoyed the SBB train rides to Zurich and Konstanz. The Davos to Filisur segment was terrific. All in all it was a great time. Can’t wait to go back next year. A truly wonderful little railroad with tons of bridges and tunnels that always runs on time.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:10 am 

Sounds wonderful Terry--glad you had such a great trip!

Keith

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:26 am 

Sounds like an excellent trip, hoping to make it out in September and spend a few days as we will be going to Italy to see family.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:57 pm 

One of the things that surprised me is how short the distances are. You can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time.