RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:39 am 

Warning: Rant coming!

On the weekend I was working on adding servos to an LGB 8721 FAD. The plan is that one servo per side will open/close the side discharge doors for dumping into the conveyor or ballasting. When I did my first hopper years ago, I used a Massoth 8FL decoder, made my own voltage regulator circuit, and used a single servo. This time there are two servos and I decided to use a Massoth 8FS servo decoder, since it's small, all set up for servos, has its own power supply--should be perfect. Wellllll....not quite.
First, the manual has some typos in critical CV areas, so I spent some time figuring out what was going on there. Eventually I found the problem, corrected it, and then carried on. I have two digital servos, so I wanted to use the 'precision servo' option which outputs A1 and A2 can handle. Well...A1 worked...sort of, in one direcction...and A2 I couldn't get to work properly no matter what I did, and despite the programming was verified to be correct according to the manual. I had a second 8FS that hadn't been opened yet so I figured I would try that in case I had somehow screwed up the programming (did a reset--didn't change anything). Well...the next one was no better so obviously something haywire in the programming. At this point I should have looked online for a firmware update but I was so mad I never thought of it. The reversing CV's didn't work either...one function output did nothing and the other left the servo doing something like the girl's head in the exorcist...spinning with a mind of its own.
So...I had to revert to the non-digital servo settings, which worked in the normal direction, but still screwed up and/or non-functional in reverse. Some of the functions just outright refused the CV's the manual said should work....I'll stop now...you get the point.

So either I'm getting old and impatient, or the products are getting worse and worse...or a combination... :p

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm 

Keith finds a solution to his problem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:55 pm 

:))

I came closer to that than you know!

but without him the trains couldn't travel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:16 am 

Keith Yundt wrote:

So either I'm getting old and impatient, or the products are getting worse and worse...or a combination... :p

It's most likely the "new and improved" factor that applies to everything that is advertised as such. They fix one glitch and introduce two new ones.

BTW, yes it is old and lack of patience, that with the sloppy QC and constant "improvements" from the mfgs is enough to tear your hair out. Which is a completely different problem, since one can do that only for so long.

X( X(

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:48 am 

Can I borrow that hammer when you're done with it, Keith. I'd like to give Mr. Kiss an early Christmas present, right in his bogies....

I think these manufacturers need to step back, give the product to a customer, and stand there to observe them install and set up their product using the instructions with the item. So they will then know what they need to fix, and what actually works.
They may be too close to the product and all the R&D to be able to step back.
Use the doctor's oath: "First, do no harm".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 am 

ritter - John N wrote:
I think these manufacturers need to step back, give the product to a customer, and stand there to observe them install and set up their product using the instructions with the item. So they will then know what they need to fix, and what actually works.
They may be too close to the product and all the R&D to be able to step back.
Use the doctor's oath: "First, do no harm".

That's what we used to do with whatever we produced as kits; give it to someone who isn't in the hobby, but kind of handy in other respects. That started with the written instructions and was the basic to assemble the kits.
We had our "Hmmm" moments; all the years of reading manuals and assembling "things" didn't prevent those.

Is there hope for KISS? While hope springs eternal, I believe the KISS well has run dry. Same goes for (M)LGB!

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Forum Administrator

"Inspired by the real world"