RhB / Swiss Trains

Interested in the RhB? Welcome to the RhB Forum!!
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:12 pm 

Quite a collection of shunting locos at Thusis this evening, I hope to get a better look in the daylight to see which ones are there. Tm2/2 No. 20 was amongst them.

617 & 613 worked into Chur with 2 Sl wagons in tow earlier
and there was no sign of the evening freight Landquart to Samedan.

Be515 was at Landquart in the sidings with B2419, B2414, ABDt1712

Seen here later in the week :

Last edited by Glenn A on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:01 pm 

25th Jan
The snowblower ran today and put on a fine performance. As a treat for the participants they were dropped off near the watershed marker north of Ospizio Bernina on the left hand side of the track (lake side) and the flanger and snow blower pootled off round the corner and did a demonstration run with the flanger pulling in enough snow for the bower to kick it out to it's right hand side as it run back up towards Ospizio. Every one down there could get some really good photos of the blower in action.
Except.
As you look north from Ospizio the people were on the right....Where the snow was being blown to.....
The rest of the photographers are under the big plume of snow.
The formation as it arrived back at Pontresina later :

9132 (the flanger) ABe47, ABe42 (power for the flanger) 801 (ran up pushing/helping the snow blower to Ospizio , 182 (Bernina Krok, worked with the snowblower on the demo runs) and 9213, the star of the show.

The following service train was at least 30 minutes late due to 'a problem' no indication as to what the problem was.
The evening freight from Samedan to Landquart was hauled by 701.
The Preda to Berguen shuttle is : 614, D4231, WS3914, WS4911, WS3912 BDt1754

Last edited by Glenn A on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:41 am 

26th Jan
Be516 is at Landquart in the roundhouse, the two sports trains running Davos-Klosters were today :

Be514, B2417, ABDt1716, all in Allegra livery.
Be511, B2411, ABDt1711, all in old livery.

631 & 633 double headed on the 1349 Landquart to Scuol Tarasp with a two train formation of coaches, both having a BD and a D coach as part of them,
618 worked the train in from Disentis

603 was on the evening Bernina Express to Chur.
This photo was taken on the 28th at Samedan

Edit to add :
shunting locos at Thusis this morning
119 117 86 20

Last edited by Glenn A on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 am 

News from the 28th Jan
Be513 was on a Pontresina to Scuol diagram, in Allegra livery with B2418, B2416 both in the old livery and ABDt1713 in Allegra colours.
Tm113 was on snow clearing duties with Xae-w9403 and 9408.
First wagon has a small snowblower on it, wagons are loaded with snow at Samedan, the loco then propels wagons round the corner on the Pontresina line, snowblower runs along the wagons flinging the snow off into the river or field next to the line.
603 was at Samedan with Xak-v91101 and R-w8371 ready to depart (picture shown above), but did not form the evening freight over the Albula, this was 707.

Went to Ftan yesterday, recommended as a photo location, leave the station and walk 2 minutes up the hill and you get a view of the viaduct with Tarasp Castle as the back drop.
When I get a chance I'll type up the push pull and Pendelzug formations I've written down.

Last edited by Glenn A on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 pm 

30th Jan
0802 Filisur to St Moritz was running 9 minutes late, the down hill train passed it at Alvaneu instead of Filisur.
706 was at Surava dropping off/picking up wagons,the formation included at least 4 Skl car carriers leaving Thusis siding empty of any. Tm86(?) was also there.
Bonaduz freight shed has received a make over, now looks nice and clean, still dark brown wood, but shiny.
Versam Safien station has also been repainted, but in a light grey colour.
The morning freight from Ilanz to Landquart was 701 and Rp65302.
Tm87 and Xk9146 were on snow duties at Ilanz
a 100year centenary sign marking the Chur to Disentis event has been found at last, it's on the cliff face near Reichenau above the high water mark.
The Glacier Express in the afternoon from Disentis to Chur/St Moritz was
629, Bp52522, Bp2531, Bp2538, WRp3830, Api1311,Ap1313.

Last edited by Glenn A on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:04 pm 

31st Jan
4" of snow in Filisur, around 12" in St Moritz
This photo was taken on platform 5 at St Moritz, there is 4cms to add on for the blank bit at the bottom of the ruler.
The Engadine got hit pretty bad as well. This led to a number of delays and alterations.
The morning freight downhill had a number of Skl's with company cars on them. The 0658 Chur to St Moritz was 8 mins late at Filisur, held at Preda for the north bound train to clear the tunnel, held at Samedan awaiting the Engadine connection, waited at Celerina, seemingly for no reason, held outside St Moritz, platforms and tracks were still being cleared, 22 mins late arrival. The train loco was then used to plough the headshunt.
3507 had an emergency brake application on leaving Celerina Stadt, when this happens the blinds drop down obscuring the view forward.
703 was at Pontresina with 2 x 2 axle container flats, and 1 x 4 axle container flats. Train was held awaiting the train ex Tirano (07:40) which was 19 mins late.
802 was out with 95403 at Stablini on plough duties.
This photo was taken at Pontresina
of the 4 Bernina trains seen, 3 were Allegras and 1 was 2 x ABe, with no tail traffic on any of them. The Bernina Express to Tirano was 23 mins late and formed of an Allegra plus 1 x 1st Pano. The other coaches had been left behind at Pontresina. 12:50 Tirano to St Moritz was an Allegra plus one coach, Xk9144 was added at Poschiavo, I had not noticed before but the blades are radio controlled, a second member of staff in the cab had a hand held control gadget which he used to operate the blades.
There is a large tell-tail yellow marker which raises and lowers in sync with the blades.
415 seems to have gone walkabout from Samedan shed, it wasn't in it's usual place this afternoon.

Last edited by Glenn A on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:46 pm 

Glenn

the flanger plows Xk 91xx are now radio controlled, don't know for how long. Before they needed a cable connection to the loco with the control unit plugged in on a socket on the left hand side of the cab, near the hand brake wheel.

I hope the snow situation will ease a little as tomorrow I will be on the Bernina line, driving the 12.09 Pontresina to Poschiavo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:18 pm 

^ the forecast is for light snow, but with any wind like yesterday there could be some drifting.

Would the radio control make the wagons Xkf rather than Xk? or is the 'f' reserved for remote control of motive power?

I also noticed that the wagon used for milk churn traffic from Untervaz to Disentis is D4073. It has not been returned to it's Gbk-v numbering even though it is in freight traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:22 pm 

1st Feb

noticed that some freight stock is have a 'number's make over, it looks to be sprayed on using a template. There were two Re-w wagons 8242 & 8269 both have had a metal box added to the sides, but as the wagons have differing height underframes one has the number stencilled on the box and no data panel, the other has the number above the box and the data panel on the box.
613 & 627 were on a Chur - St Moritz diagram working as a pair.
3515 was on a Chur-Thusis diagram.

Stations on the Arosa line all look freshly painted, dark red doors with red trim and light blue shutters, except Litzirueti which has yellow shutters.
This is Luen Castiel
The new station at Arosa is now in use, as a result the toilets that were located under the kiosk have been closed, the new toilets are at the other end of the building.

At LuenCastiel there are some old staff lockers left in the former ticket office, Gion might have to launch a rescue mission, while he is there a preservation order ought to be slapped on the ceramic wood burner as well.
On the historical front, Felsberg still has it's old signal control panel and a pile of Rhatische Bahn stickers and a large collection of posters as delivered in flat boxes. I also saw some old photos on the wall that might be worth saving for posterity.

Last edited by Glenn A on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:56 am 

Thanks for the updates Glenn - looks like a load more snow for you this morning :cool:
Quote:
On the historical front, Felsberg still has it's old signal control panel and a pile of Rhatische Bahn stickers

Hmmm, I've been looking for an RhB sticker for my car for ages...........
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:06 am 

Just the car Mike? ;)
Glenn's diaries are always interesting for those bits and pieces he spots and of course the photos he shares. I'd never get to travel so comprehensively on holiday as I'd be boring the boss solid. Em got a bit worried about me having the tickets on the last trip when I disappeared during station stops grabbing pictures. Have to say though having a friendly guard who encouraged me as long as I was quick helped a lot :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:08 am 

Quote:
Just the car Mike? ;)

Yes, goes with the registration plate!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/1227 ... 8ecb_c.jpg

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:39 pm 

The stickers look like the ones that appear on the luggage trolleys you see at some stations, or go on posters as they are about 12" wide. There were some different colours amongst the stack, so, having sourced a man with some rope, the spanners are not needed, the sign at Reichenau is held up with wire, I now need a locksmith.
2nd Feb
Last day, yet more snow, the MGB was shut all day between Tschmut and Andermatt due to avalanche danger.
I see the temperature in this area is set to rise over the next few days, given that today's snow has been persistent and very fine I can foresee problems over the Albula, Bernina and Engadine.
Keep an eye on the map.
http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/help.exe/dn? ... p_external

I see Austria is also having snow problems.
Today I did the walk from Trin to Reichenau, officially shut, but the footprints in the snow suggest otherwise. It is the better way to do it, I stopped frequently for photos and at Reichenau to photo trains going over the Rhine Bridge. It took about 90 minutes. At Reichenau you have frequent services to several destinations as opposed to the one an hour at Trin. Trin station appears to be unoccupied, the former goods shed area has nothing in or around it. The station control panel is still intact. Trin has, at the Disentis end, a stack of short pieces of rail, the first one on the top is dated 1895.
Also,behind the rails is an 'Ikea' flat pack bridge kit. along with a load of wooden boxes dated 1936 and later, two are open, one contains some industrial size 6" long nut and bolts,
the other contains what look like the business end of a 20mm armour piercing shell.
I think these might be rivets for the bridge, I'll try to remember to post a photo in the coming days. There was also a nice antique wooden trolley.
The walk itself is pretty easy with only one serious 'up' but even that isn't too bad. The path is mostly next to the railway line and you can hear the trains coming early enough to find a good vantage point.
Sadly, just as the Glacier Express liveried Ge4/4III crossed the Rhine Bridge my camera battery went 'splut' so I missed it, my camera couldn't have timed it better.
613 and 627 were still working as a pair on the Chur to St Moritz run, Be515 was on a Rhazuns to Schiers diagram.
Last night they passed through Filisur with :
WR3812, Bp2521, Api1304, A1267, A1235, B2368, B2349, B2383, DS4225, B2308, B54108, B2302, B2304

Somewher in one of the industrial plants, either the A&G recycling centre or the Crea Beaton cement works next door, is a grounded van body, possibly a Gbk-v, it bears further investigation when the access gates are open.
While at Kueblis in the afternoon 647 came trundling through with BDt1722 heading for Landquart.
Trains on the Landquart to Davos line where strengthened mostly with a Pano car, in conjunction with a hockey match at Davos. 623 was taken off the stock forming the 1349 LQ-ST and replaced with 3503. alongside, 1347 to Davos Platz had Bp52522 I think, added to the consist. the next working was : 3501, Bp2532, A1250, B2353, B2428, B2367

I took a photo of Xak91501 at Davos Platz, it appears to be a transporter wagon, I'll be checking Haribu's list to find out if I'm right.
hmm, google translate says Podestwagen 'pedestal dare' Will get the books out when back home.

Last edited by Glenn A on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 am 

3rd Feb
On way home,
An empty stock working passed by at about 05:55, appears on the web cam as a bit of a blur.
706 worked the down hill freight, 702 uphill.

647 has now appeared on the Chur to St Moritz services, having seen it at Kueblis the other day, it worked the 06:58 Chur to St Moritz.
the 09:04 Filisur to Davos Platz didn't fare well, as a result of a party booking B2432 was on the rear of the inbound service, formed of 644, A1262, B2354, BDt1756, B2432,
The train arrives at about 08:55, there is a need for a shunter to accompany the train in to assist with the shunt move to get the coach onto the back of the train. The driver of the inbound working can't do the shunt as he swaps with the driver of the 09:02 to St Moritz. The driver from that train took the push pull set off the coach and shunted towards St Moritz after the 09:02 had departed. Then back through the platform onto the coach. Once the driver had made the attachment he changed ends to the BDt to carry out the brake tests. The next move was to be to push back down the platform to clear the signal and proceed sign, at this point the loco sat down so the driver had to leave the BDt come back and reboot the loco, then back to the BDt, set back, and finally departed 24 minutes late. Whilst the need to cater for the group is appreciated, the number of other passengers on the train suggests that the standard formation had enough space to accommodate then.
610 was used as motive power for the Glacier Express
and 603 was outside the roundhouse at Landquart.
B2111 was at Untervaz, worryingly close to the Recycling Plant.

Finally, to add. While I was at Chur the bird population was getting in a right kerfuffle overhead, there were a lot of rooks and I noticed that one bird in particular was being picked on.
That is not a rook on the right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm 

Glenn

Great photographs. I enjoyed them.

Looks cold.

Today here it is 40 degrees plus. I am sitting around in my shorts. Not a sight to behold I assure you.

Kind regards

Geoff